DI???!!! (I'm dumb)

thedrowningman0

I was trying to figure out a way to record (via direct input) my bass. I know mics are probably the better way to go, even through I've heard mixed reports, but I've heard that a DI box is the way to record like this??? Being that when I use my line out (unamplifed) from my amp it never registers on the recorder...too quiet I guess. But when I do it through the amplifed line out then it always comes out sounding bad. What am I doing wrong??? And if a DI box is the way to go how in the world do I use it, and does it have any live applications???

Thanks,
-thedrowningman0

About one year ago I bought a used Tech 21 Sansamp Bass DI (the old model - $85) to use on stage, and for recording. This eliminated the need for my amp while playing live, and run through the mixing board it worked perfectly. Also, it is a preamp, and EQ for a variety of tones. I will never play without one now.

For recording you definitely want to take your amp out of the direct chain using a DI like this one. You simply run your bass through the input, send the parallel output to your amp so you can hear what your recording, and then the effected output to your recorder. The output is a balanced XLR, so if your recorder only takes 1/4" you need that crazy adapter too. It runs on a battery, and the new models have an AC adapter.

The result is a nice, present, tight and punchy recording. These are available on E-bay, but they normally go for almost new price. The old model like mine can sometimes be found under $90 but only has one effected output, and internal controls. The new model comes with the external controls, and 2 effected outputs and runs $165-$190 new.

My advice, buy one.

Back