Are the DF-7's overdrive models actually overdrives?

thebigcheese

"Hi, I'm in Delaware."
I have a DF-7 Distortion Factory, and I love it, but I recently got a tube amp (to replace my solid state) and I'm starting to wonder if the two overdrive models on the pedal are actually overdrives or if they are just meant to sound like what an overdrive would sound like through a tube amp. For instance, when I used it with my solid state amp, it would sound distorted. I was under the impression that overdrives are just supposed to boost the volume to overdrive the tubes, so I wouldn't have any distortion happening with the solid state. So the question is, are they real overdrives?

Okay here's my understanding of things, no doubt someone more knowledgeable will come forward.

I have a DF-7 Distortion Factory, and I love it, but I recently got a tube amp (to replace my solid state) and I'm starting to wonder if the two overdrive models on the pedal are actually overdrives or if they are just meant to sound like what an overdrive would sound like through a tube amp.

If the name's anything to go by, they're probably distortions. I'm not being pedantic, but there's a difference between overdrive and distortion, as you seem to appreciate. It depends on the extent of the clipping - distortion will look like a more 'jagged' wavform while graphically, overdrive resembles a 'smoother' curve.

It can be somewhat subjective, but what I would qualify as 'distortion' sounds 'grittier' or 'crunchier'. Your valve amp is most likely capable of both overdrive and distortion; valve overdrive is a form of soft limiting, while the transistor clipping provided by your pedal (or your valve amp with alot of gain) represents hard limiting.

Your pedal is also going to boost the input signal of your guitar and drive your amps pre-amp stage harder.

So... that's a no? I mean, they SOUND like what an overdriven tube amp would sound like (well, except not really, now that I've done that with my amp), but they sound like that even through a solid state amp, so my hunch is that they are just made to sound like that rather than to actually be overdrives. Though, obviously I can grank the level and make it overdrive my amp.

So... that's a no? I mean, they SOUND like what an overdriven tube amp would sound like (well, except not really, now that I've done that with my amp), but they sound like that even through a solid state amp, so my hunch is that they are just made to sound like that rather than to actually be overdrives. Though, obviously I can grank the level and make it overdrive my amp.

Well if it sounds like and overdrive then it is...don't overthink things!

Well, I guess my point is that the DF-7 is a modeling pedal and the overdrive models result in a distorted sound coming out of the pedal (i.e. before it even gets to the amp), which makes me think that the overdrive models are not actually overdrives, they are just made to make solid state amps sound like an overdriven tube amp.

Well, I guess my point is that the DF-7 is a modeling pedal and the overdrive models result in a distorted sound coming out of the pedal (i.e. before it even gets to the amp), which makes me think that the overdrive models are not actually overdrives, they are just made to make solid state amps sound like an overdriven tube amp.

Okay, NOW I'm with you. Then yes, if it's a modeller, it's 'modelling' the sound of a REAL tube overdrive.

Aw, that's unfortunate. I was getting all excited about finally having a purpose for a Tube Screamer, but I guess I'd still have to buy a real one... shame.

Hmmm... I was just looking at an older thread about the difference between OD and distortion pedals, and maybe it is still an OD and I'm just not using it right b/c I didn't quite understand how it's supposed to be used. Most people say they use the tube screamer with the gain set at almost none and then crank the level/output. I had the gain up higher b/c I use the other models with the gain farther up... hmmm... I'll have to investigate more later.

Aw, that's unfortunate. I was getting all excited about finally having a purpose for a Tube Screamer, but I guess I'd still have to buy a real one... shame.

Dude you can use any pedal with any amp - it all depends what sound you're after. If you like the sound, go for it! A tube-screamer is mostly used as a booster to boost your input signal before it hits your amp's pre-amp section. I'm sure your DF7 is more than capable of doing the same thing...without seeing it in front of me, it's hard to say; but I'm guessing it has some sort of level control, a drive/gain control and maybe a tone control?

Back