Dean Edge Bass

JeffLancaster

Hi, I've been toying with the idea of buying a bass for my home recording setup. I have been a guitar player for many years but don't have much experience with basses, so today I went and tried a few at a local music store. I want something that will sound good for direct recording (no amp), be easy to play for an inexperienced bass player, have a good sound, and hopefully be inexpensive. Tried a Godin model that was beautiful and sounded great but was kind of expensive (about 500 bucks). Then I tried a few cheap Squiers but didn't like the sound so much (seemed kind of harsh and buzzy). Finally I tried the Dean Edge; it sounded nice and smooth, seemed very playable (at least in my own inexperienced opinion) and looked real nice too (It was a black one, with what looked like two humbucker style pickups). The price on it is great (199 bucks!). Wondered if any experienced bass players had any experience and opinions on this model? Should I bite the bullet and get it or keep looking?

After a little more research, I've learned that the pickups on this bass are actually "Soap Bar" pickups. First i've ever heard of this type but it's been years since I've really shopped for a guitar or bass. Anyone have any opinions on these?

I currently play a dean edge Q-5

Its a really nice bass, five strings, quilted amber burts top. absolutely beautiful.
It plays really nice and easily but tight string spacing makes slapping pretty hard compared to other basses (even other five strings).
The sound can be a little muddy sometimes. It is lacking in the mids but if you want low end rumble its perfect. This of course can be contribuited to the emz-hz pickups (is that what the one you played had?).

all in all, I love my dean bass and would recomend it to anyone.

Thanks, Pedro. I'm not sure if the pickups are the emz-hz type or not - the Dean website just calls them Soap Bar pickups. The model I played was the Dean Edge One.

Do you use your bass for recording? I won't have an amp and wondered how I might get a good sound with this bass going direct (I have a Seasound Solo interface with instrument inputs).

Hey, Jeff. I haven't seen the Dean bass, but it sounds like you're in the same situation that I was last year. Here's why I chose a Yamaha, which has worked out beautifully in my little home studio.

I've been a guitar player for 30 years, and last summer I picked up a bass for my home recording (I was tired of bringing in bassists or using a synth). I spent an afternoon at my local GC and focused on two well reviewed low-budget basses, the Yamaha 170 and Ibanez 200. At first, I prefered the Ibanez for its thinner neck and easier action, which might be preferable for some players, but I noticed a some slight fret buzzing on the several guitars I tested. For my interest in clean recordings, I felt that the Yamaha was the better choice--the action was a bit higher, the neck a bit beefier, but the sound was so clean and pure (for a bass at this price point). In fact, my recordings since have born this out; the bass sounds solid and clear. I also found the Yamaha's body design to be particulary well suited to playing while seated.

So, in general... I found both basses to be low-cost winners, really quite surprising for their ridiculously low prices. For a beginner, especially a youngin', I would probably choose the Ibanez for its easy playability. For a recording musician with some guitar experience, I think the Yamaha's a better choice--although I'm sure the Ibanez could be fine with some adjustment. Either way, I'd suggest asking a store to bring out a few of either model so that you can check the necks for straightness and smooth/even frets. I find a lot of obvious inconsistency in craftmanship at this price point, so after I'd decided on the Yamaha, I had the GC folks bring out 3 of them (new in box), and I took one that was clearly superior in overall build and finish.

Maybe the Dean's a better value than either of the above models--but if you're interested, you can search this forum (and via Google) to find loads of reviews of both the Yammie and Ibanez. Very solid reviews, overall, in the cheapo range.

Good luck, whichever way you head~
J.

Back