David Gilmour guitar sound FX

phatstadt

Does anybody know how to most accurately reproduce the lead guitar sound from "Comfortably Numb" in Pink Floyd "The Wall"?
What about the lead sound from "Shine on you crazy diamond" from "Wish you were here"?

Are there any cool lead guitarist links where sound FX are discussed?

Philippe Hatstadt

I've got an ART 2000 express that does some pretty cool effects modeled after Gilmore's sound. I think it has three or four. I have it for sale on the used gear page of this BBS if interested.

Gilmore is one of a select few who handles overdrive/feedback like a true artist. (Santana's another) What he does is anyones guess.
There is patch dedicated to his trademark sound in digitech's RP-20, a solidly build, pedal box, that I would recomend as an all in one package. Some real nice staight guitar patches, but not heavy with fx.
The Gilmore patch is probably a little weak out of the box re: overdrive, but that can be added in by you.

I don't normally come around this side of the BBS, but in case you might have overlooked it- The heart of Gilmour's sound lies in a passive single coil pick-up in the neck position... I have a DiMarzio that nails that sound... Don't know the model#'s though. It is probably circa 1984.
S8-N

Trust me...you'll never duplicate David Gilmour's sound. I used to subscribe to Guitar Shop magazine, and they had an article a year ago or so concerning Gilmour's rig, and his signal chain is unbelievable. He's sending his signal through about 20 various rack units, stomp boxes, and different pieces of gear. He uses active pickups on his strats just to get the signal strong enough to come out the other end. For someone who is basically known as a "clean player" he goes through an amazing amount of gear to get that sound. I may still have the article...I'll look for it.

Back