David Gilmour

SSgtP

I read in an article a couple of years ago, about what tuning David Gilmour uses on his slide guitar. His slide guitar looks like a pedal steel, without the pedals. It has something like 9 or 10 strings. If I remember correctly, he splits the tuning up, half major/half minor, so that he can play either way. Can anybody tell me exactly how he has it tuned? I have a pedal steel, that I would like to adjust to his tuning. I love the texture that his slide playing brings to certain songs i.e Great Gig in the Sky.

Thanks in advance

P

Wow, I thought that there would be some Pink Floyd fans out there. Anyone?............(crickets chirping).

AlChuck,

Your right, but I was hoping that his fan base would be slightly higher. Anyway it was worth a shot. Thanks

Tweedville,

I think we're talking about the same one, but it was definately more than a six string. If I can find the article, I will post the tuning. Thanks

besides the pink Floyd David Gilmour, I recentely saw a great jazz/fusion guitarist also named David Gilmour. He played with the fusionband Aka Moon.

you know what, I think I know exactually what you are asking about. I remember reading an interview somewhere online or in a mag and he did mention his tuning for..umm....division bell or.....great gig in the sky....can't remember. I will look thru my magazines sometime and let you know.
about great gig in the sky, I think you can easily play the sliding part w/out his tunning because he pretty much plays one note instead of an apreggio/chord in that song. I am not sure tho, hehe, this gives me a good reason to pull out my DSOTM again!

High Hopes lap steel is tuned to an open position Em. Gilmour says the lap steel on Great Gig is tuned D, G, D, G, B, E. The G,B,E set is the minor slide, the D, G, D, G, B is the major slide.

I'm the biggest Gilmore fan ever!But more so for his regular ol' six string wanking
I believe his best work(though he would prob'ly disagree)is on the "Animals"album!His lead work on "Dogs"gives me chills up my spine!!He also has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard!

beezelbubba said:
I'm the biggest Gilmore fan ever!But more so for his regular ol' six string wanking
I believe his best work(though he would prob'ly disagree)is on the "Animals"album!His lead work on "Dogs"gives me chills up my spine!!He also has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard!

I have to agree with you on that one. That album is a Gilmour masterpiece. Lots of interesting layers he uses, that all kind of speak to one another, almost.

One thing that I think describes his playing best, and especially on that tune, is patience. He is easily the most "patient" guitar player I have ever heard in any era or genre.

DG is definately someone that I never get tired of listening to. I like that he takes such simple theme's, and uses tone and texture to make them sound enormous. BTW Animals is my favorite PF album, although Shine On You Crazy Diamond is my favorite song.

P

animals is a GREAT album, and my favorite by far is "pigs: 3 different ones." Its surprising that most people dont remember Animals, although it was placed between the Wall and Wish you were here and those were momumentally popular. Its almost considered the forgotten album, what a shame.

the big four are all awesome. Animals is as an incredilble recording as the others, just got overshadowed. Which is great because it isnt played out, like Dark side of the moon is

Back