D'Addario, Elixir or GHS acoustic strings?

Unsprung

Just got me another Epiphone PR-100 "Texan" (had a chance to replace one that was stolen, 8 years ago), and am wondering which brand of strings would be best for it? I'm already planning for 80/20 bronze, which is what I had on the one that got stolen (GHS Bright Bronze, medium guage), and will probably go with a custom light set, this time, and more than likely coated. The only D'Addario strings I've ever tried were phospher bronze, light and medium guages, and they never did sound all that good, and my only experience with the 80/20 bronze strings is with the set that was on my Epiphone that got stolen, but I do remember that set was finally THE set for that guitar.

The guy I bought my "new" (is a 1986 model) PR-100 from told me, this morning, that he'd "just slapped an old set on there, for shipping, and that I'd have to change them." Picked it up at the post office, this afternoon, and when I got it unpacked, I found out he was right. They'll go in tune, but beyond that they're deader than doornails. Now it's just a matter of trying to decide which brand of coated, custom light guage 80/20 bronze strings to string it with.

Matt

I've always used Martin phosphor bronze strings. They have good tone, and last a good while. :)

There is a three part equation when it comes to strings. It involves the strings, the guitar, and the player. I'm not a part of that equation when you are playing, so I try to stay out of it. The best way I know of to find the best string for you is to change strings on a regular basis (at least once a month) and to try something new each time until you find a set that YOU like.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
The best way I know of to find the best string for you is to change strings on a regular basis (at least once a month) and to try something new each time until you find a set that YOU like.

Light

M.K. Gandhi
So it's entirely possible that THIS Epiphone PR-100 might not like (sound best to me) medium guage GHS Bright Bronze strings, like was the case with my last PR-100, huh? I won't count, this time, how many string sets I end up trying before I find just the right set, for this one...I didn't last time, anyway. Would electric guitar strings work on an acoustic? I bought a box of Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky strings, when I bought my Mexi Tele back in February, so I'd be up for a bit of experimenting, in this case, and may likely be the first set of strings I try on the PR-100. If they don't work, I'll venture out to Indianapolis, first chance I get, and swing by Guitar Center before hitting the mall, to spend my gift card from work (a bonus for our turning a profit, a couple months ago).

Matt

Unsprung said:
So it's entirely possible that THIS Epiphone PR-100 might not like (sound best to me) medium guage GHS Bright Bronze strings, like was the case with my last PR-100, huh? I won't count, this time, how many string sets I end up trying before I find just the right set, for this one...I didn't last time, anyway. Would electric guitar strings work on an acoustic? I bought a box of Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky strings, when I bought my Mexi Tele back in February, so I'd be up for a bit of experimenting, in this case, and may likely be the first set of strings I try on the PR-100. If they don't work, I'll venture out to Indianapolis, first chance I get, and swing by Guitar Center before hitting the mall, to spend my gift card from work (a bonus for our turning a profit, a couple months ago).

Matt

Get yourself a set of Martin SP's in the red and black pack.........and be done with it. Those strings will make damn near any guitar sound better.

I ain't gonna tell you what you NEED to use, but I'll say I just pulled a set of Elixers off my Washburn Jumbo last night that had only been on it a week.. They sounded Ok, but there was easily a 50% drop in overall volume when they were put on..

FWIW, I replaced 'em with John Peirce 300M Medium's.. No opinion on the JP's yet.. I put 'em on, tuned up, sat it on the stand and grabbed the banjo to go pick for a while..

--
Rob

Unsprung said:
Would electric guitar strings work on an acoustic? I bought a box of Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky strings, when I bought my Mexi Tele back in February, so I'd be up for a bit of experimenting, in this case, and may likely be the first set of strings I try on the PR-100. If they don't work, I'll venture out to Indianapolis, first chance I get, and swing by Guitar Center before hitting the mall, to spend my gift card from work (a bonus for our turning a profit, a couple months ago).

Matt

I wouldn't put electric strings on an acoustic. They are typically much thinner and wouldn't supply the correct tension to the neck, requiring significant truss rod adjustment. Plus, they'll sound all crappy and stuff.

Like the others have said, you have to experiment. For coated strings, I prefer the sound of the D'Addario EXPs to Elixirs, but that's on my guitar.

I've tried

picato, earthwood, DRs, Daddario, thomastik, elixir & of them all I exclusively use Martin SPs on all my acoustics

people after reading this next comment will start looking at my technique......................go figure OK

the only string that I hate with a passion is D'addario, all they ever did was break....................since using Martin I can't remember the last time I broke a string. & I use ernie ball on my electrics & the last time I broke one of them it was because the set were pushed to (mwahaha) breaking point

I am a huge believer in turning right up so you have the full dynamic range from the strength you pick at, that can go from feather touch to being absolutely demolished. With Martin SPs & ernie ball I reign supreme over my stringed machines

I personally always pick up 12. Elixer's for my acoustic. They were the kind of strings that came with my guitar when I bought it, so I always slap those on there. They sound great, but are a little pricey. They last a really long time though if you want them to.

slidey said:
I've tried

picato, earthwood, DRs, Daddario, thomastik, elixir & of them all I exclusively use Martin SPs on all my acoustics

people after reading this next comment will start looking at my technique......................go figure OK

the only string that I hate with a passion is D'addario, all they ever did was break....................since using Martin I can't remember the last time I broke a string. & I use ernie ball on my electrics & the last time I broke one of them it was because the set were pushed to (mwahaha) breaking point

I am a huge believer in turning right up so you have the full dynamic range from the strength you pick at, that can go from feather touch to being absolutely demolished. With Martin SPs & ernie ball I reign supreme over my stringed machines

I can second that about the Martin SP's not breaking easily.....and my nut and saddle are'nt exactly in perfect condtion either.

guitarist_44 said:
I personally always pick up 12. Elixer's for my acoustic. They were the kind of strings that came with my guitar when I bought it, so I always slap those on there. They sound great, but are a little pricey. They last a really long time though if you want them to.

indeed, the price thing............................I prefer to pay less slightly more often (all depends on how much I'm gigging at any given time) ideally I replace the strings every week end (if gigging full time) otherwise when they're needed to be changed

Unsprung said:

Matt

Well, it would be extremly unusual for someone to like electric guitar strings on an acoustic, and I would usually suggest you at least START your experimentation with acoustic light and medium gauge sets. But the rule of thumb is that whatever YOU like is right for YOU (assuming it doesn't distroy your guitar - NO HEAVIES UNLESS YOU ARE TUNING DOWN AT LEAST ONE WHOLE STEP).

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
NO HEAVIES UNLESS YOU ARE TUNING DOWN AT LEAST ONE WHOLE STEP)

I use 54thou bottoms on my 12string tuned down to drop C or lower & 57thou bottoms on an ovation tuned at the mo. to drop Bflat which I suppose is C tuned to standard

BTW that particular guitar can handle being taken up to concert with 57s

When I get a chance, around the end of the month, I'm going to get a set of medium guage GHS Bright Bronze strings, and a set of light guage Martin SP+ 3100 strings. I'll start with the GHS strings, then switch to/try out the Martins. I may also try a set of custom light guage strings, which would be a mix of light and medium guages.

Matt

slidey said:
I use 54thou bottoms on my 12string tuned down to drop C or lower & 57thou bottoms on an ovation tuned at the mo. to drop Bflat which I suppose is C tuned to standard

BTW that particular guitar can handle being taken up to concert with 57s

A .057 on the low E doesn't bother me. by heavies, I mean a standard D'addario Heavy set, gauges .014-.059. That is too heavy for ANY guitar at concert pitch. They are made for slack tuning.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
I mean a standard D'addario Heavy set, gauges .014-.059.

They make a .014 set..?? Man that's THE Bluegrass string set I've been looking for..!!!

Think the .014 would work out Ok on a Dobro, but that's typical guitar tuning either..

--
Rob

Crash © said:
They make a .014 set..?? Man that's THE Bluegrass string set I've been looking for..!!!

Think the .014 would work out Ok on a Dobro, but that's typical guitar tuning either..

--
Rob

Yes, they make a 14 gauge set. If. Even on a dobro, however, a 14 Cage says is too heavy for standard tuning. As I said, if you're going to use a heavy gauge set of strings, you really need to be tuning down at least one whole step.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Crash © said:

--
Rob

You can get away with heavy strings if you have a square neck!

Back