Customizing a fender amp

Saddlebacks

So I have this idea, and I would appreciate some advice on it.

I have two fender ultimate chorus's (130 watt combos), on one of them the actual amplifier has broken, but I believe the speakers are still good. My plan is to join the 4 speakers into a cab, and take the amplifier out of the first combo and create a head out of it. My main problem as i see it is that the Fender Ultimate Chorus is a stereo amp with two separate power amps both supplying 65 watts, each speaker in the combo is supplied by a different channel. 8ohm per channel. so how can i hook up 4 speakers to accomodate 2 separate 65 watt channels 8 ohms each. If i hook the speakers up in series-parallel i can get 8ohms (seeing as the speakers are all 8ohms), but i still have two channels

can i somehow join the two channels together to make it mono with 130 watts and 8ohms? or is that increasing the ohms as well

I feel like this is do-able if i just figure out how. any advice is appreciated

I don't think you will be joining the two channels into a 130 watt mono channel any time soon. If you had the skill to do it, believe me, you wouldn't be asking us. That is some serious electronic work.

I would just make a 412 cab in stereo. 212 each channel. Otherwise sell it and get a bigger amp.

Do you use the stereo chorus ever? I would make two seperate 212 cabs and put them on oposite sides of the room. Oh man...that is some killer guitar sound.

well i would do a 412 in stereo but

how do i make an 8ohm channel support 2 8 ohm speakers?

the ultimate chorus is a solid state amp, and ive heard taht going down in ohmage is okay, but not going up?

is that right or backwards?

It's been a while since my electronics classes, but I think if you run 2 speakers in paralell @ 8ohms each, your circut will only be 4ohms, which is not good for your amp.

I agree, convert to the head and two 2x12 cabs.

I would suggest to run the speakers in series, which will make the circut total 16ohms with your 8ohm speakers.

That is safer than running the 4ohm load because the circut will draw less power from the amp.

You may or may not lose volume as a result, because you will be pushing more air (from 4 speakers as opposed to 2), so you may not notice the loss.

To solve this you could replace your 8ohm speakers with 4ohm speakers, continue running them in series, making the total load for each cab 8ohms.

At that point I would say you should be rocking out!

Here is a site with some diagrams and more info:
http://www.aqdi.com/speakerz.htm

Back