Custom SG build

Bill L

Massivdonian
So back in April in purchased an SG kit from guitarfetish for $179 (+ $80 for a tweed case) that was completely unassembled/unfinished. A friend of mine that worked for Guild (for many years) and Campbell American set the neck for me back in May and I had been trying to find an artist to copy Eric Clapton's The Fool SG from his Cream days (later owned by Todd Rundgren). After a few false starts with artists (the first guy, after making we wait 2 months, tells me he's too busy. I'm thinking he just didn't want to tackle the job), I chatted with a friend of mine who does this kind of stuff. So I finally dropped the guitar off in August and I just got it back this week. It's not complete yet but it will be soon. So I'll post some pics (and some tones) when I get it back completely assembled. The kit came in with a blank headstock which my buddy cut to look like a Gibby. I've upgraded all of the wiring, pots, switches and pickups (I'm using the bridge pickup from my Epi Dot in the neck and a 57 classic in the bridge). The body was sealed, primed with grey and then primed with white before he hand painted it using enamel paint (like the original). He's put a couple of clear coats on it and my other buddy will put a few more coats before final assembly. I've been looking forward to this for a long time. Should only be a week or 2 now.

Cut Head StockbSG002.jpg

Unassembled
aSG001.jpg

Assembled, ready to be painted
bSG003.jpg

bSG001.jpg

Duuuuude... I've been eyeballing that SG kit for the past few months; put it on my christmas list so there's a chance my wife might get it for me. Got any opinions on how the neck feels? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this thing once it's complete. Can't beat it for that price!

Duuuuude... I've been eyeballing that SG kit for the past few months; put it on my christmas list so there's a chance my wife might get it for me. Got any opinions on how the neck feels? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this thing once it's complete. Can't beat it for that price!

There were some spots that needed filling, sanding, etc. but for the price you can't beat it. I originally was going to buy a used Epi and paint that but it would have been more costly. I'll probably get another kit and make a '61 or '62 reissue (basically a Derek Trucks SG) as well. Probably go with a solid color for that one. It ends up costing a bit more than an Epi but will be way better and a bit less than a Gibby. My total cost on this project will be around $600 with a large chunk of that going to 2 local tradesmen that could use the money and the work.

There were some spots that needed filling, sanding, etc. but for the price you can't beat it. I originally was going to buy a used Epi and paint that but it would have been more costly. I'll probably get another kit and make a '61 or '62 reissue (basically a Derek Trucks SG) as well. Probably go with a solid color for that one. It ends up costing a bit more than an Epi but will be way better and a bit less than a Gibby. My total cost on this project will be around $600 with a large chunk of that going to 2 local tradesmen that could use the money and the work.
Hell yeah, that's freakin' awesome. Ok...gotta get my wife to snag me one from santa this year :thumbs up:

That paint job looks badass, too. I think I'd go with the '61/'62 reissue look myself but man, it's almost identical to the Clapton it's copying. Those locals did a good job on that beast!

That's damn cool dude. That looks like it would be a really fun thing for me to do. Is it really hard to set the neck straight? Seems like something I would want to try to do on my own just to learn how to do it lol. Anyways look cool. Hopefully it'll sound as good as it looks :D

As I said, my buddy set the neck so I have no idea how easy or difficult it is. I'm sure Muttley would help though. I'm actually dropping it off tomorrow to get the finish coats, wiring and final assembly. I'm hoping to have it back next weekend (but it'll probably be a couple of weeks). As soon as I get it back I will post some tones both here and in the tone thread. I think my next project will be a Strat set up with flat wound .12's, the Lowell George pickup and wiring schematic (I know his son and he's sent me the wiring diagram) with characters from Little Feat album covers covering the front and back of the guitar. Either that or I'm gonna buy a Les Paul kit from guitar fetish and have a gold top with P90's made.

Wow, that's great ! I've always loved "The Fool"

My son's an artist, and I want him to do a guitar for me. Just haven't found the right canvas ...

There's a guy that does these, copies of famous guitars. Uses Epis and Squiers, or you can pay the big bucks and he'll do them on Gibsons and Fenders. I'll see if I can find his info and put it in this thread.

As I said, my buddy set the neck so I have no idea how easy or difficult it is. I'm sure Muttley would help though. I'm actually dropping it off tomorrow to get the finish coats, wiring and final assembly. I'm hoping to have it back next weekend (but it'll probably be a couple of weeks). As soon as I get it back I will post some tones both here and in the tone thread. I think my next project will be a Strat set up with flat wound .12's, the Lowell George pickup and wiring schematic (I know his son and he's sent me the wiring diagram) with characters from Little Feat album covers covering the front and back of the guitar. Either that or I'm gonna buy a Les Paul kit from guitar fetish and have a gold top with P90's made.

Well I can't wait to see and hear how it all came out. I've been interested in making guitars for a long time, but haven't pulled the trigger. This has to be very satisfying :D

There's a bunch of guys that do it. One guy charges big $. I'd rather support local artists (and in my case friends) and tradesmen. I looked at it as I've spent less than an actual Gibson, slightly more than an Epiphone and better than both. Worst case is I hate the way it feels/plays and sell for a profit and buy a '62 reissue. Win/win from where I sit. ;)

Fantastic. Are you going to wind the pickups or is there someone local who can build to spec?

The bridge pickup is a Gibson '57 Classic and the neck pickup is the bridge pickup from my Epiphone Dot (which now has a Jeff Beck in the bridge). I'll probably upgrade to a '57 Classic or something custom wound that's similar. There's a few places around here that have nice replacement pickups without the major cost. I'm hoping to get it back before Christmas. I have a gig the day after and it'd be nice to see what she can do. I'll have some tones up soon (I hope).

Back