Cracked Neck Repair

geet73

OMG!
So I'm getting an ESP Viper guitar for $25-50. Somewhere in there. The only problem with it is that the neck is cracked. I'll be getting the guitar in the next few days. I haven't seen the actual guitar yet.. but I figure it's worth it being how cheap it is. I can always just get a new neck or just use the electronics for something else.

Is the neck repairable by using woodglue or something similar?

I'll be able to post pictures of it when I get it if needed.

Yes, usually it is fixable. How bad a shape is the neck in?

Funny Story actually, a friend of mine had recently purchased a Gibson Les Paul Studio brand new for $1500 or so, and three weeks after he got it, some people were getting it on on his couch and knocked his Gibson over and cracked the headstock on it.

But, he took it in to the place he got it from and they were able to fix it for him. Of course, this was not good enough for him so he made the couple pay for a new one and the store bought the old one back for half-price!

But yes, generally if it's not too bad of a crack it is fixable. Wood glue will probably work, but if your not sure about what your doing, take it into the local shop and ask them what they think of it BEFORE you do any work on it.

Timmy J

That's why I figured that I should ask here. I'm pretty good with doing simple repairs on most things. I just thought I should get some reassurance that wood glue might work. I still haven't seen the guitar, but I will definitely post pictures when I get it. I'm hoping to get it tomorrow night.

Do you have any idea where the neck is cracked? If it's where the neck and headstock meet then thats not bad at all, its running with the length of the neck right down the middle, then thats really bad.

Back