Could Zappa be God?

cephus

Slow Children Playing
Maybe moreso that EC?

I just watched VH1 Classic albums "Over-nite sensation". I've had it DVRd for a couple weeks and just got to see it.

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to zappa since CDs came out. Even less since MP3s. Everything I ever listened to was vinyl or cassettes of vinyl.

He could play the shit out of the guitar couldn't he? He had such a weird technique. How he held the pick. There is a certain awkwardness to his left hand position. But the brain!

No one talks about Zappa being a guitar god. so in 1973, who was playing guitar like that? He destroys everyone I could think of.

I am so blown away, I can't even form a complete thought. I know I have "Live at the Roxy and Elsewhere" on CD somewhere.

Quick! To the crawlspace!

I guess. I forgot how much I like the mothers. For several years growing up, we had a xylo-marimba at my house. My brother was an educated percussionist. Now he's a nuclear physicist working for W. Anyway, the clavinet and trombone and mallet stuff is just so... odd, isn't it?

I love it.

I got to see him a couple times in the 70's and 80's-he had Adrian Belew the first time and his solo about melted my face~~~ :eek: The second time Frank took all the solos through a ultra modded SG-wicked playing again!!

You seriously need to get out more if you've never heard Frank Zappa described as a guitar god. I listen to Shut up an play yer guitar fairly often, but it's only come across emotionally a few times for me. I just listen to it cause he's all over the place, something else entirely different than anything I've heard.

darrvid said:
You seriously need to get out more if you've never heard Frank Zappa described as a guitar god. I listen to Shut up an play yer guitar fairly often, but it's only come across emotionally a few times for me. I just listen to it cause he's all over the place, something else entirely different than anything I've heard.

Being a major Zappa fan for years, I must say that I agree with you about a lot of Frank's guitar solos. I adore his playing on Overnite Sensation and occasional solos here and there, but overall there are a lot of other players I'd rather listen to.

genius composer, producer,song writer, film maker, author, actor (miami vice! :-) ), amateur politician (who do YOU want for president : zappa or bush???), militant defender of the first amandement (check out his pmrc speeches on youtube), anti-drugs campaigner , funny guy, talk show host, talk show guest, family man, record label owner, chain smoker,

and yes : guitar god.

Zappa was one of the most innovative guitarists of his time, along with Jimi Hendrix, John McLaughlin, and Jerry Garcia. God? not. Badass guitarist? Definitely. The question is, which one is still alive?-Richie

darrvid said:
You seriously need to get out more if you've never heard Frank Zappa described as a guitar god.

When you were born, I was 18.

I seriously have never heard anyone in a very long time address him solely as a guitar guy. In my mind, he's always been more of the composer/arranger guy.

Alot of the later stuff was extremely intellectual and complicated, but it was not really to my taste as much as the bluesey stuff from the early albums.

I did dig out Mothers: Live at the roxy and elsewhere. The song that I assume is "dummy up" is this one where Napoleon Murphy Brock is approached by the evil dope (education) pusher. I didn't realize that I had completely stolen a bunch of my sweetest licks directly from that song. They're just little bursts of blues licks. And the tone is clear.

That's not really even typical FZ, is it?

Was zappa even in that bogus list of top 100 guitarists of all time from rolling stone or GP or guitar world or whatever?

I've said this before, but

one of my all time favorite guitar solos/pieces/whatever was when he was on the Mike Douglas Show (now there's an odd couple). He did 'Black Napkins' I think, solo. Just him standing there with his SG, through a Pignose that was on a stool.

i don't know if this is related or not but, I enjoyed seeing a bumper sticker that said "Jerry's dead and Phish sucks...get over it". Not that I agree so much, but admire the slogan because of seeing so many greatful dead stickers on cars.

Zappa most certainly is God. if only for "inca roads" then he would still be God. im a big hendrix man, and it takes a lot to say this, but i think zappa's got one over on him overall.

funny how neither of them were trained guitarists though isnt it, yet both extremely revolutionary in what they did.

I don't think when you contemplate the greatest guitars ever that the name Jerry Garcia would pop up. Where did that come from?
Of course you don't ever here Zappa mentioned either, but your right the guy had it upstairs when it came to creating music and playing it.
Anyone remember Suzie Creamcheese?
He seemed to play guitar robotically almost like he was performing a mathmatical equation.
I wonder who is the best guitar player in the world still living? I seen some young spanish kid playing classical guitar so fast and articulate you would think he was possessed, maybe he was. He did things that make the guys your discussing look almost pre school.

For someone who wasnt 'formally trained' Frank certainly went out of his way to notate every note the entire band was asked to play.

And I was 32.

I just watched that Classic Albums. I have never been ready for Frank, but I think I'm there.

I had no idea the level of musicianship, nor the arrangements he was capable of.

Dweezil fucking kicks ass, too!

Back