Could Zappa be God?

ez_willis said:
I just watched that Classic Albums. I have never been ready for Frank, but I think I'm there.

I had no idea the level of musicianship, nor the arrangements he was capable of.

Dweezil fucking kicks ass, too!
Zappa is an entertainer....not just a musician. Quite fun....

Just pulled out Overnite Sensation and listened to Zomby Woof. That has to be my overall favorite Zappa piece of music. The lyrics, arrangement, orchestration and guitar solo embody everything that made me think that Frank was the coolest.

On Roxy and Elsewhere the guitar solos in Penguin in Bondage and licks in Dummy Up were also influential to my playing.

Another tune - Frogs With Dirty Little Lips from Them or Us. Stevie's Spanking from that album, too. Hilariously funny and perfect music!

cephus said:
I seriously have never heard anyone in a very long time address him solely as a guitar guy. In my mind, he's always been more of the composer/arranger guy.

Alot of the later stuff was extremely intellectual and complicated, but it was not really to my taste as much as the bluesey stuff from the early albums.

Was zappa even in that bogus list of top 100 guitarists of all time from rolling stone or GP or guitar world or whatever?

I really am just suprised his status with guitar wasn't a given. I had heard the name many times long before I ever picked up an album. I haven't bought a guitar mag in a while, but I'm sure he was mentioned frequently in all of the ones I used to read. Granted his arrangement skills are touted more than other guitarists, but I rarely hear him mentioned w/o guitar being the focus.

I totally agree with it being more of an intellectual feel. When I compare it to blues, blues gives a base gut reaction. Emotion with no connection to thought. Zappa is all thought, no (or rather rarely) emotion, imo.

Any top 100 list is moot without him on it. I suppose many people might see him more as a novelty though, than a musician they enjoy or want to emulate. *shrug* edit: he does make 45 on RS (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time) And oddly enough since he was mentioned in the thread Garcia ranks a high 13.

I've been meaning to pick up that doo-wop album he put out, I had a quick listen at the local record shop and really liked it for that style. I'll prolly have to look more into the early stuff if you say it's a bit more bluesy, as that's definitly more up my alley.

darrvid said:
Any top 100 list is moot without him on it. I suppose many people might see him more as a novelty though, than a musician they enjoy or want to emulate. *shrug* edit: he does make 45 on RS (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5937559/the_100_greatest_guitarists_of_all_time) And oddly enough since he was mentioned in the thread Garcia ranks a high 13.
Rolling Stone seems to have forgotten many guitarists that would eclipse most of the folks on their half-assed list:
Al Di Meola
Django Reinhardt
Merle Travis
Wes Montgomery
Chet Atkins
Andres Segovia
Paco de Lucia
Carlos Montoya
Doc Watson

and John McLaughlin at #49 - gimme a fuckin' break.

That Rolling Stones list is kinda odd.....how did kurt Cobain make it to 12...and Jonny Ramone (didnt he only play power chords???)

Mike

This is the best thread I never read in my life!

As this is a site dedicated to learning about recording, it should be pointed out that Frank sang about such things as SMPTE time code and the U47. UMRK looks like it must have been a tidy little home studio.

I've always thought of Frank as an exceptional guitarist, but I think that element of his music gets eclipsed by the sheer audacity of the note selection involved in his music. Zappa was a premier stepping stone for a handfull of great guitarists like Mike Keneally, Adrian Belew, Steve Vai and Warren Cuccurullo. Out of anyone I've heard, I think Keneally does the best job of emulating a part of Frank's 6 string mojo.

And how 'bout that chord that Ray played?

I had a chance to check out Zappa Plays Zappa a few months back and it was relentlessly entertaining. I'd love to see Dweezil do more of these shows - very worthwhile.

Also, Ruth Underwood is a Goddess.

Don't forget to register to vote,

sl

Joni Mitchell? Gimme a fuckin' break! Maybe one of the top 100 *lyricists*.

How about Charlie Christian, Julian Bream, Alvin Lee, hell- Joe Walsh? Just goes to show that making the Roling stone's top 100 guitarists list doesn't have that much to do with playing guitar.-Richie

I've checked out a few of Zappa's songs (not nearly enough I'm sure), and I can appreciate what a great mind he was and how great of a guitarist he was...but I just can't get into his music. It just doesn't do much for me. His voice is not that great, and whatever he is singing about, well I have no idea. His music just doesn't do it for me so I'm not motivated to go out and buy any of his music. Oh well, I'm sure it's my loss.

Mr. C said:
I've checked out a few of Zappa's songs (not nearly enough I'm sure), and I can appreciate what a great mind he was and how great of a guitarist he was...but I just can't get into his music. It just doesn't do much for me. His voice is not that great, and whatever he is singing about, well I have no idea. His music just doesn't do it for me so I'm not motivated to go out and buy any of his music. Oh well, I'm sure it's my loss.

whilst i feel extremely sorry that you feel this way about mr zappa, and there is indeed a tear dripping slowly down the left side of my face, i understand your problem. lots of my friends also suffer from this antizappaitis, and whilst being nothing you can help, the cure is just to listen to as much zappa as you can, and the problem will indeed go away. i recommend listening as early in the morning as possible, and as late at night as possible. its not middle of the day music especially, though that being said i find myself listening to the bastard all day long :p

I've checked out a few of Zappa's songs (not nearly enough I'm sure), and I can appreciate what a great mind he was and how great of a guitarist he was...but I just can't get into his music. It just doesn't do much for me.

I'll help ya out here brother...you can't take him too seriously nor can you take him serious enough...He's an oxymoron not made for morons or the morbidly obtuse...I hereby provide the evidence herein to illustrate my stance on this dodgy subject.....

YouTube

YouTube

Wonder what ever happened to Cephus?

---------- Update ----------

Or Richard Monroe, for that matter. He had a lot of good advice.

---------- Update ----------

And I see we're on a Zappa roll tonight.

Reactions: TAE
Back