Contact cleaner/tube replacement

cellardweller

I've read many places that when you change tubes, you should hit 'em with a bit of contact cleaner and maybe plug them in once or twice to remove oxidation/etc.
So I go to radio shack, lo and behold there is one can of contact cleaner left. Halu-fucking-leuia.

So I'm on the last tube, when I notice a kinda oily film on the housing (not really a "film", but that oily "shine").
So I read the ingredients Tetrafluoroethane and WHITE MINERAL OIL!!!

So I take the tubes all back out, and get some cotton swabs to mop up any residue I might see.
I really didn't think I used an excessive amount, and I only found one spot with any evidence of an oily "shine".

Am I screwed??? :mad: :o :eek:

White mineral oil? Is this common contact cleaner ingredient, or did I screw the pooch?

Everything I can find about mineral oil suggests it is low conductivity, they have even immersed computers in it for cooling.

Not that I suddenly feel any better about it.... :eek:

Don't worry, the contact cleaner from Rat Shack works fine. It's not a problem.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

ez_willis said:
Try this--
Yes, it's been a day of trials and tribulations... :rolleyes:

So how about the insulating properties of the mineral oil?
I guess as long as the posts are making good contact it will be okay, ehh?

For sure, eh.

...but in the long run, I would think a non-oil containing cleaner would be best for tube sockets and pins.

White oil is hydro treated 'parafinnic' oil, and comes in varying grades - including the kind you can eat (ever have a Twinky?). Mineral oils are insulators unless they have additive packages (which white oil does not).

They have some stuff here at work called "Electro-Wash", which claims to be safe on PC boards/PLC's/office equipment/etc. It is labeled as "cleaner degreaser". The Metrology guy suggested it....

Think this would be safe to clean up any residual mineral oil which might remain on contact points?

Contents: dichlorofluorethane, ethanol, carbon dioxide, methylcyclohexane, tetrafluorethane, :eek: :confused:

The heat will evaporate off the mineral oil, I'm sure. at the very least, it'll eventually run down the prongs. I thought you were concerned about the fire danger rather than conductivity.

Since conductivity on the board is not a problem, I was wondering about LACK of conductivity at the contact points...residual mineral oil... being an insulator.

Electrowash sounds like the real deal, CFC's and all...it will clean up stuff well...I'd use it with good ventilation though.

I doubt the small amount of mineral oil is causing conductivity issues between your pins/sockets. Dirt and rust/oxidation are more likely to cause this.

savageblues said:
Electrowash sounds like the real deal, CFC's and all...it will clean up stuff well...I'd use it with good ventilation though.
It cleans... it degreases... and you can huff it!

The metrology guy said to try it out on the circuit board before using it!
I probably don't need to tell you that this made me a little nervous! :eek:
Just where do I "try it out"! :confused: :eek:

cellardweller said:
Since conductivity on the board is not a problem, I was wondering about LACK of conductivity at the contact points...residual mineral oil... being an insulator.

Not to worry. Non viscous insulating materials do not inhibit conduction between metal contacts which are in, well, contact. Heck, air is a non viscous insulating material.

Light said:
Don't worry, the contact cleaner from Rat Shack works fine. It's not a problem.
I probably should have just left it at that, huh?

I literally dreamt of playing my amp a couple times last night.
It sounded fantastic!!! :D

I use lighter fluid sometimes, if I know there'll be time for it to dry. It`s a fairly clean solvent.

Mmmmm MESA!
Amp sounds great!

CFC's pack a killer buzz.

Thanks everyone, especially ez.
Who knew, wedge anchors rock almost as hard as chrome floam.

Back