Cheap guitars that play awesome?

In my opinion, one would be hard pressed to find a guitar that dosen't play good nowdays (with a proper setup). Even the cheeziest shit out there plays pretty damn good. Most of the work is done by machines now. I think the days of really bad guitars that cannot be setup because of flaws in the build are mostly over with. There were some God awful ones in the 1960s though. Man, you could fit a banana under the strings on some of them....and it would still buzz if you were man enough to actually press the string down to the fretboard. LOL

Playability now it good and you don't have to worry about cheap guitars not playing good. Now you only have to worry about cheap guitars having plywood bodies and bad electronics.

Used PRS SE can be found pretty cheap. Usually trems are good, maybe a nut replacement, sometimes tuners or pots/pups but these are built like tanks.

In my opinion, one would be hard pressed to find a guitar that dosen't play good nowdays (with a proper setup).
That's what I thought, too, so when I saw a chance to buy a baritone from Rondo Music for less than $150 (with case), I jumped. Out of the box the ends of the frets were like twenty two little razor blades poking out both sides of the fretboard. The highest eight or ten frets of most strings played on or two different notes. I mean, this stuff isn't hard to fix, but it's not a simple basic setup at that point. I actually took it in to have it done by a "pro", but the guy came in, took it apart, and the nobody heard from him for like a week. Turns out he went to jail... So I had to beat on the frets and file the edges, and I have neither the experience or the patience to more than a half-assed job. You can play it now*, but I know for a fact that Guitar Fetish would not have let this out the door even at the price I paid.

So then when I saw a chance to buy a Tele style 12 string for less than $150, I was expecting it to be a miserable mess, but I figured at least I'd have some parts to work with. I think this was one of those kits from eBay that somebody put together and finished and then sold on Amazon, and whoever did it did a pretty damn good job. The fret ends could use a little bit of love, but not near as bad as the baritone. I haven't had it long, but I'm suspicious of the tuners (twice as critical on a 12!), but otherwise I'm actually having to hold myself back from playing it on everything.

So I guess the point is that reasonably shaped and flat necks and decent hardware are pretty easy nowadays, but it's the finer details that seperate the surprisingly cheap dream homes from the slightly too-expensive fixer-uppers. That is one of the reasons I recommend Guitar Fetish. They inspect every guitar that comes across the ocean to them to make sure it meets their standards. If it has one little cosmetic thing wrong with it, it goes in the Clearance Section at a hefty discount. If there's anything that makes it play poorly or really needs fixed, it goes in Luthier's Special for almost nothing. And they have great customer service and a decent return policy. I definitely understand where you'd be hesitant to buy without trying, but I am confident that if you don't like what you get from them it will be about personal taste, not the quality of the product itself.

*Actually, it's got the Jazzmaster style floating bridge with all of the "string piping out of saddles" bullshit that implies, and with the fatter strings, it's that much worse. I can't actually play it because I can't keep the Low B in the saddle. I need to try shimming the neck, but haven't gotten to it yet.

I've been happy with all the parts I have bought from guitar fetish. They are the benchmark in terms of bang for the buck IMO.

Well at first I thought it was a clearinghouse for chinese knockoffs but I guess I gotta check this place out.

I think I paid 300 for this DeArmond 73

that's a cool guitar!
And you got it for a price that even a cheap skate like me would pay.

I bought a late 70s Vantage Les Paul clone for 200 bucks that is pretty awsome. I did upgrade the pickups and pots and I'm into it for about the same price as you now.
It's killer now though and worth every dime I'm into it for.

I've been happy with all the parts I have bought from guitar fetish. They are the benchmark in terms of bang for the buck IMO.

I agree. I've met Jay Abend, the owner & founder and he loves to tinker with guitars himself. I had a problem once with
a pickup that I was installing for someone and after calling, they replaced it and even said to keep or trash the other one.

Well at first I thought it was a clearinghouse for chinese knockoffs but I guess I gotta check this place out.
I mean, I'm pretty sure all of their stuff does come from overseas. I think the GFS pickups can sometimes be found branded as Arco, and I wouldn't be surprised if other folks carried some of the same stuff. The GuitarFetish folks go the extra mile with quality control and customer service, though, which is why I keep going back.

I too have a couple of Xavier guitars that play great. Loaded a tele with their pickups. One of my blems was a blush in the finish where the strap covers. Took me a while to find it!

Greg Bennett Tele copy. I paid 100 for it at an estate sale. Replaced all the guts and pickups. Super great now. It was good before, but sings now.

You cant beat a late 80s Kramer...Charvel/Jackson...or Ibanez for playability...look on craigslist and there will be one there cheap...

Okay I haven't pulled the trigger on any new guitars since I posted but there has been a development. . .

My wife had an old martin stinger (strat copycat) in the closet and I tried it out on a whim. I have a tele deluxe 72 reissue I use for everything but I just got an amp and I wanted to hear it with a single coil. Turns out I like how the martin feels more. :O So rather than buy new I ordered some seymour duncan pro ii pickups for it and I'm gonna do a set up on it, try lowering the action quite a bit. Pickups arrive today so next few days I'll see about posting before/after pics.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

The new pickups went in pretty easy, they sound great but I'm still monkeying with the setup. Trying to get the action comfortable without it buzzing all over the bridge. I included a pic of the headstock because it's kind of unique.

I mean, I'm pretty sure all of their stuff does come from overseas. I think the GFS pickups can sometimes be found branded as Arco, and I wouldn't be surprised if other folks carried some of the same stuff. The GuitarFetish folks go the extra mile with quality control and customer service, though, which is why I keep going back.
I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them and I do this for a living so I'm not gonna keep buying stuff that sucks.
Sure .... the p'ups aren't Lollars .... but they're quite nice .... Bang for the buck, I just don't see anyone coming close.

Last edited:
That's interesting, I'd never seen that type of headstock before. I wonder if it wasn't more common than I thought.

Back