Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carvin Guitars

Thanks

Question

Sign in to disable this ad
    Does any have (or have played) the Carvin Allan Holdsworth signature guitar? It reads like a great instrument, but I wouldn't want to buy one direct without a test run or a sparkling referral.

I understand he (Holdsworth) drove the Carvin guys nuts for years before they came up with something he liked.

Thanks

Exclamation

I don't have a holdsworth, but i do have a carvin DC 135 (i think that's the #). I won't speculate on the holdsworth model but instead comment on the company. I'll never buy a mailorder axe again. I got it in and my first order of business was to adjust the trusssrod due to a slight bend in the neck(probably temp variations in shipping). Next i shipped the hardshell case back to be replaced as it was gashed open (better it than the guitar though )
    all in all i ended up with a 'good' guitar. But not the stellar diamonds in the rough as the reviews would have me believe.

hope things work out,
    rhoadz

Thanks

Wink

I have to disagree here. I've played just about every Carvin guitar on the planet and find them to be excellent players. The necks are a little "spongy" and need regular truss adjustment, but they are among the fastest necks around, if that's what you like. The Holdsworth is a different scale than most Carvins and has sound chambers, so it has a more airy tone. I like the regular Carvins better, but the Holdsworth is still an interesting guitar worth trying out. FYI, they have a 10-day return policy.

Thanks

Wink

Little off the topic,

I picked up a Mid-70's epiphone solid body electric, very cool. $150, plays excellent. As for Carvin, never tried them. But, I would never order a guitar direct, gotta try them out.

Thanks

Wink

I am with GuitarGarden on this one. I confess that I am at a major advantage on this one, I live 15 minutes from a Carvin shop. Yes to the needing to adjust necks. But I 100% love the tremelos on these things. and the pickups are pretty hot. Yes you can add those things to any guitar. But then again why add them when you can get a machine that already has them. The reps and sales folks there are great in my expierience. Mild testimony, I feel bad that the one dude here got a lame guitar form them, but he did not mention weather or not Carvin argued at all with his requests to swap gear. I know getting a lamer sucks, but there is comfort in the good customer service too

Thanks

Wink

You bring up a good point Even. Carvin didn't put up a fight or give me any static about my retuning the damaged goods. Perhaps i'm transposing a bad "mail order" experience to a bad "carvin" experience. They are two different beasts after all.

Thanks for the clarity

Thanks

Thumbs up

I have a friend locally who bought a used Carvin guitar, and he has gone through a ton of guitars. He liked the Carvin so much, he eventually bought two new custom guitars. Both of them are beautiful in sight and sound. I have had a used Charvell with Carvin electronics for several years now and have been very happy with it. I was looking at getting a new guitar and knowing how well his Carvins sounded, I have decided to get one. As for the resale value, I do not plan on getting rid of it.

Thanks

Wink

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I usually wouldn't consider buying anything sight unseen, but I have always heard good things about Carvins, except for the fact that they tend to be somewhat light on the tone (and light on the weight).

But everyone keeps saying that this Holdsworth model has great tone because of the chambers in the body, and has excellent action with a wide fretboard and rounded neck. If they really are on the up-and-up with their return policy, I might pursue it.

Thanks

Wink

Carvin is a fine company making really excellent guitars, basses, anps, PA etc. I trembled in fear for 18 mos. before ordering my first carvin bass. Don't do that. I've bought lots of stuff from them, and never returned anything, though they will gladly take back anything you don't like. carvin is true relief from the pain-in-ass process of dealing with local music stores.
    IMHO.

Thanks

Wink

I have been purchasing Carvin gear since 1979 and they are the ONLY company I will 'endorse' as far as sight-unseen Quality. Sure you get nervous about mail order stuff, but this company has proved time and time again to deliver excellence. If you have any problem, they will rectify it. Need your money back? Just pay the return shipping and insurance and they will refund your money. You can't get any better than that!

Thread Information