Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Capacitors and Resistors?

Thanks

Capacitors and Resistors?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Can you guys point me to the best place to buy capacitors and resistors? Like J quality/5% tolerance or higher. And maybe a kit that has an assortment of values. I'm doing some modifications tone/volume knobs and swapping some pickups -- just started getting into this so I'm a newb and not sure where to buy. Looking for good quality parts.

Also, what types (bumble bee, orange drop, ceramic, etc) should I be looking for? Are the orange drops really much better than ceramic? If so, why? Etc.

Thanks!

Thanks
    You can buy them at a lot of places...but this is one of the places that focuses its items toward the guitar players and amp builders (there are others).

Antique Electronic Supply

AFA caps for the tone pots in the guitar...since it's a passive circuit, you can use whatever you want, it will yield the same result, but some people just like using the more esoteric, Hi-Q stuff anyway. If you were building an amp...it would be a different story.

Also keep in mind that some of these caps tend to be much larger than others, for the same values...so make sure your guitar cavity has the room. Like the Orange Drop are pretty large compared to a ceramic disc cap.
    I've used a lot of silver mica caps for guitar tone purposes...they are small, and more durable than a basic ceramic disc cap.
    You can also find this stuff all over eBay...once you figure out what you want and the values you need. That's where I've bought most of mine.

If you were talking electrolytic caps for active electronic stuff...I would say go to a bigger supplier that moves a lot of product, so you know you are get fresh stock, since electrolytic caps can get stale over time just sitting on a shelf. I used all high-end, long-life Panasonic caps when I recapped my console...got them at Mouser and Digikey.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, Miro! What voltage value do you recommend? Like if I want to try a .033 or .047 cap -- I've seen those between 100v and 650v. I assume the higher is a larger capacitor, so I'd probably want the smaller, but what is the lowest voltage that will work in control pots?

Thanks
    Again... being a passive circuit...I really don't think voltage value matters at all.
    When I was buying the silver mica for my guitars, I was just focused on capacitance value, and paid little attention to voltage values...so whatever was available.
    AFA tolerance...get 5% -10%...I don't think that will matter much either.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to miroslav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not to butt in, but... This reminded me of when there were usually a couple of electronics stores in town where you could just walk in retail and cobble together anything your heart desired from their bins. Well, you buy the stuff and take it home. They all shut down when everything became disposable.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    Small Bear is a good place to start as they are more geared towards what you are doing.

If you know how to use thier search there is also mouser and digikey however they carry almost literally everything so you will find SMT components along side Through Hole components. So just searching 10uF capacitor will yield a SHIT load of results. You have to know how to narrow it down with thier narrow search function.

I was just pricing a Klon clone out this morning with mouser and small bear, but like I said you need to know what you are looking for.

I was pretty stoked when I found linear taper pots that were an exact match for OEM boss parts....... then immediately got bummed that they don't stock them (Roland won't ship parts anymore because fuck the end user apparently).
    My home studio ---> www.nerolstudio.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spantini View Post
    Not to butt in, but... This reminded me of when there were usually a couple of electronics stores in town where you could just walk in retail and cobble together anything your heart desired from their bins. Well, you buy the stuff and take it home. They all shut down when everything became disposable.
    Yeah we still had a radio shack up until last year. Sucked to see it go, having to order everything sucks ass these days. Shipping on just a few parts is barely worth it. I loved the resister packs you could get from radio shack.
    My home studio ---> www.nerolstudio.com

Thanks

excellent video of Lindy Fralin explaining and demoing tone caps
    I was country before they took the O out.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimistone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I usually get caps off ebay. I can usually find whatever I want. I don't see how it's worth someones while to sell one cap for a dollar, with free shipping, but they do.
    (which pretty much explains the demise of Radio Shack)
    I was country before they took the O out.

Thanks
    If you are thin king in pure electronic terms then you just buy from a convenient source. If you believe certain types of component sound better, then you buy at a premium price and accept the cost. My own view is that as long as the component is the same specification, then that's pretty much it. The process of removing one capacitor and soldering in a new one prevents any meaningful objective listening decision. You cannot A/B, you need to dismantle, swap, rebuild, try? It means that subjectivity creeps in and that $50 expensive capacitor guaranteed too be identical in shape, size and construction to the batch Leo Fender put to one side in his workshop as the 'specials' cannot in any meaningful way be compared. You stick it in and wow, it sounds better. Especially when you spent $50 or more. Your brain convinces you. I buy components on spec, and usually price. Changing the specs slightly can yield interesting results - and that kind of thing I like.

Thread Information