Capacitors and Resistors?

Nor wanting to descend to the level of the playground but "you started it" with your BS insult.

I did not at anytime question your skill or competence. Of course the guitars sounded better. I don't suppose for one moment you just changed a ceramic capacitor and handed the instrument back, complete with old strings, sticky nut, buzzing frets and dodgy intonation?

The hundreds of radios, record players and tape machines I fixed as a service tech "sounded better" for my ministrations. The radios because I would have peaked up the IF and aerial circuits giving better sensitivity and selectivity. The record players got a clean/lube and new "rubber" and so lower rumble and wow and tape machines a clean and tape optimization where appropriate. Components were changed because they were faulty, not because of some concept of "better" capacitors or resistors.

The ceramic capacitor is in fact in many ways better than foil. They work well up to 1000MHz whereas foil can only manage 1meg tops. NOT that it matters for audio one jot.

People can of course do what they like and believe what they will. I shall continue to say selling 20p capacitors for 2 quid is ripping people off just as much as the $1000 Russ Andrews mains leads.

Now, RFR. can we agree to disagree like gentlemen and allow this thread to continue without name calling?

Dave.

How about this: you both know a lot.

There, egos settled?? :guitar:

Hopefully we can get back to sharing knowledge b/c this thread was cool until the bickering and egos flared up.

Here's a couple of website articles with videos, tests, etc for using caps in guitars...make your own call. :)

Change Your Caps, Change the World!(or at least your tone pot response) << tonefiend archives

This one is really in-depth:

http://zerocapcable.com/?page_id=224

In this one ^^^ they do say that one reason to stay away from ceramic disc caps is that they "can" go microphonic on some cases...kinda like a tube can.
So that might be a reason why some folks do hear an improvement when swapping them out for a different type cap.

Nor wanting to descend to the level of the playground but "you started it" .

Dave, I wish there was a playground. We'd go on the swings for a bit, get tired of that, then find the nearest pub and have the conversation over a pint or two. Like gentlemen :D

I wasn't calling you bullshit but your reasons stated as the possibility for the guitar sounding dark. Which I must say seemed dismissive of my experience. You weren't there, you didn't do the work, you didn't hear the before and after results. :)
I like you and much of your input, and apreciate your extensive electronic knowledge. But in that case it seemed a bit 'know it all'
But I harbor no ill will towards you.

We're all good. :D

Another cap story.
Gibson a while back started mktg some Les Pauls as "bumblebee equiped"

Except they didn't sound 'right'. I got curious and took out one cap and had my dentist freind Xray it. :D

OMG! What we found, was what appeared to be a very small foil cap inside the large molded housing (which resembled a real bumblebee. ) :D

I then put it on the beltsander and sanded it in half. Sure enough, that's what was inside. Fakery!

I had a set of real Bees, put them in and the guitar sounded better. :D

On a side note; I'm kind of dissapointed that this thread exists, and that I've participated in it. This is much akin to the "analog /digital" debates. It could go on forever with no resolution. :D

Dave, I wish there was a playground. We'd go on the swings for a bit, get tired of that, then find the nearest pub and have the conversation over a pint or two. Like gentlemen :D

I wasn't calling you bullshit but your reasons stated as the possibility for the guitar sounding dark. Which I must say seemed dismissive of my experience. You weren't there, you didn't do the work, you didn't hear the before and after results. :)
I like you and much of your input, and apreciate your extensive electronic knowledge. But in that case it seemed a bit 'know it all'
But I harbor no ill will towards you.

We're all good. :D

Good to hear. No, I wasn't there but I cannot change my "show me" mindset. I have been in electronics for 60 years + and have never come across a shred of evidence that capacitor types make the slightest difference to the "tone" of a guitar or amplifier.

I certainly DON'T "know it all" I simple state the "physics" and like the Russ Andrews crowd I believe it is up to the claiments to prove the superiority of their outrageously expensive products.

A drink and a chat sounds good! I would have to stick to tonic! (can I bring my lad's old Mexican Strat?)

Rock on,

Dave.

A drink and a chat sounds good! I would have to stick to tonic! (can I bring my lad's old Mexican Strat?)

Rock on,

Dave.

No! ( on the strat. :D )

I'd just want to to pull out the pots, caps, get rid of the plastic nut, do the frets. Probably take off that horrid poly finish on the neck, etc.

Sounds like alot of work. I'm just there for the beer. But could you please have them chill it?

---------- Update ----------

Are you talking about digital resolution? :p

As an instigator, you're top notch. :D

Mouser Electronics in Texas has more than enough parts to rebuild electronics. Learn on your own what caps are best and voltage selection depends on the circuit it is in. Buying new made fresh parts are better than some old guitar place junk that has been sitting for many years. Electrolytics have to be fresh while Polystyrene or Polyester do last a long time. Silver dipped Mica are expensive and not really needed for audio but are used a lot in Transmitters.
Many old parts can also be found at Unicorn Electronics in PA where parts are really cheaper than the big suppliers. I get Mylar caps there when I need them.

Back