can you recommend a small amp that does clean well?

I dig the Orange more than any of them; it just seems more balanced than any of the others. That Blues Jr. sounds way better when it's pushed to breakup though - I don't really think it works as a clean amp, especially with the mods done.

I'm going to throw up samples of 3 other amps later on this afternoon: a fender vaporizer, a '77/'78 fender champ (with a replacement speaker that's vintage but not original) and a '56 Magnatone Custom 260. I think the maggie will trump all the other samples but I don't know if they're too easy to find. I think they started to make them again but I don't know how they would compare to the original...

Ok, here is another clip. Same riff as yesterdays to keep it a little objective. Same setup - Audix i5 on axis through a focusrite saffire pro40 stock preamp, nothing added in post. Fender US strat with texas specials starting with the neck and switching to the bridge midway through. Again, pardon the crappy playing...just trying to get this done quick so I can get on with other things.

'56 Magnatone Custom 260
This amp surprised me a little...it sounds SO much better in the room than through the mic. I had it on the "Mellow" channel setting in the input section without vibrato. It was re-capped and refurbished a little over a year ago and if you switch to the normal channel it has zero clean headroom. Outside of the caps and tubes, everything else about this amp is original. Sounds kind of...well...blah.

I'll have a '77/'78 Silverface Champ and the two channels of the Fender Vaporizer up soon. I exported muted tracks like a dumbass... :facepalm: :laughings:

Wow, thanks for taking the time to do all that, Pikingrin! That's amazing. I liked the Marshall the best.
I tested a bunch out and wound up buying a Fender Princeton Brown Face at a good price. They give me two weeks to test it out at home, so we'll see how it goes. If I don't like how it records I will probably trade it in and get that Marshall -- I like it! When researching some of my favorite guitarists, they almost all use Marshall stacks...I guess my ear is drawn toward that sound.

I think the tones you posted are in the order that I like best, except the last one. They're all fine, but the last clip (Magnatone) was kinda muddy IMO, even when you switched to the bridge p'up...Marshall & Orange were tops for me, but the Vox clips surprisingly good too...Good job dude!!!

I'm guessing you recorded a di, then re-amped these right???

When researching some of my favorite guitarists, they almost all use Marshall stacks...I guess my ear is drawn toward that sound.

Well at least you got that going for ya. :thumbs up:

I'll tell you though, if you want the real, classic Marshall sound, it comes from huge volume. There aint no shortcuts.

A few more, just for shits and giggles.

Fender Vaporizer 12watt 2x10" combo that I got on the cheap a little over a week ago. Gotta love young metalheads that buy an amp just because it has tubes in it. :D

Vaporizer Normal Channel

Vaporizer Bright Channel

And last, but not least, the '77/'78 Fender silverface champ. This one was tough to mic up; took me about 20 minutes to mic it up - that little speaker is touchy and it's hard to get a recorded tone that's not overly bassy. I changed up the riff for this one just because the percussiveness of the other riff doesn't really play well with this amp. Only mod to the champ was a speaker change before I got it. Story I was given is that the original speaker had blown so it was replaced with another vintage speaker from the 60's that fit the spec.

Fender Champ clip

I think the tones you posted are in the order that I like best, except the last one. They're all fine, but the last clip (Magnatone) was kinda muddy IMO, even when you switched to the bridge p'up...Marshall & Orange were tops for me, but the Vox clips surprisingly good too...Good job dude!!!

I'm guessing you recorded a di, then re-amped these right???
No, I didn't reamp... I guess that would have made life a little easier though! Each one was played individually - kind of got carried away playing through each amp during the process and having fun with it along the way. :guitar:

Well at least you got that going for ya. :thumbs up:

I'll tell you though, if you want the real, classic Marshall sound, it comes from huge volume. There aint no shortcuts.

That was more for their live sound. When recording a lot of them used smaller amps. At least according to the internet! haha

That was more for their live sound. When recording a lot of them used smaller amps. At least according to the internet! haha

Don't believe everything you read. But some of it might be true. I'm not gonna get into the whole "small amp for recording" myth because it causes butthurt, but you do whatever you gotta do.

No, I didn't reamp... I guess that would have made life a little easier though! Each one was played individually - kind of got carried away playing through each amp during the process and having fun with it along the way. :guitar:

The reason I asked was you seem to play those licks/riffs pretty much the same on 'em all.....good job dude!!!

Don't believe everything you read. But some of it might be true. I'm not gonna get into the whole "small amp for recording" myth because it causes butthurt, but you do whatever you gotta do.

Yeah, I didn't really believe it and just went with what sounded best to me and fit my apartment needs. I'm just glad to have a nice amp that will beat the sims and be nice for practicing on. If it does those two things I'll be happy.

Thanks for the help everyone. That Marshall is nice...I might buy that down the road.

Yeah, I didn't really believe it and just went with what sounded best to me and fit my apartment needs. I'm just glad to have a nice amp that will beat the sims and be nice for practicing on. If it does those two things I'll be happy.

Thanks for the help everyone. That Marshall is nice...I might buy that down the road.

If you decide on that DSL40, try to find one with the Creamback speaker. It's a huge upgrade over the crapola 70/80 that usually comes with it.

If you decide on that DSL40, try to find one with the Creamback speaker. It's a huge upgrade over the crapola 70/80 that usually comes with it.
+1 for the Creamback... I tried both and even without a broken-in speaker the Creamback model blew the other away. It's no Vintage 30 like the Orange has but it's got a good sound of its own.

+1 for the Creamback... I tried both and even without a broken-in speaker the Creamback model blew the other away. It's no Vintage 30 like the Orange has but it's got a good sound of its own.

For a Marshall, I think the *color*back speakers are better than Vintage 30s. Greenbacks, Blackbacks, Creambacks, most of them are pretty much the same speaker voicing, and it works with Marshalls. Orange and V30s are a good match, Marshall and Greenbacks are a good match.

A few more, just for shits and giggles.

Fender Vaporizer 12watt 2x10" combo that I got on the cheap a little over a week ago. Gotta love young metalheads that buy an amp just because it has tubes in it. :D

Vaporizer Normal Channel

Vaporizer Bright Channel

And last, but not least, the '77/'78 Fender silverface champ. This one was tough to mic up; took me about 20 minutes to mic it up - that little speaker is touchy and it's hard to get a recorded tone that's not overly bassy. I changed up the riff for this one just because the percussiveness of the other riff doesn't really play well with this amp. Only mod to the champ was a speaker change before I got it. Story I was given is that the original speaker had blown so it was replaced with another vintage speaker from the 60's that fit the spec.

Fender Champ clip

Thanks Pikin. We really do need a Small Amp Tone Thread. To be honest, I thought those clips sounded a little muffled. Of the ones you recorded, I've got the DSL40C. The tone I'm used to hearing from mine is quite a bit different. What guitar/mic/mic placement/amp settings were you using?

We have The Tone Thread. It's not exclusive to any type of amp. All amps are welcome. Big, small, medium, tube, solid state, whatever.

Back