Can anyone recommend a good beginners bass amp?

Mongoo

My friend who I am teaching bass is looking at getting a beginners amp. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Mongoo

On the assumption that it's just for practicing at home for a beginner, Orange make an excellent little 20 watt bass practice amp, or if (s)he wants a bit more, and has the budget, the Gallien Kruger 70W / 10" kickback combo is very nice. Sorry you'd have to look at their web sites fo rmore details, but they are easy to find and either of them would do just fine. The Peavey Microbass also gets good reviews but unlike the other two I have no first hand experience.

At all costs don't let your friend but a cheapo Kustom / Crate type thing - that could kill a budding bass career.

I must say that orange amps simply rock. Crate bass stuff, especially the cheap stuff, is utter crap. I like the tone of some Peavey stuff, but many times they seem to give misleading (incorrect) power ratings on their bass amps, not to mention put too lowly rated speakers in the amps. Then again, I guess if you want cheap bass distortion, Peavey's are probably a good thing (but if you're not turning up super loud for practice anyway, I guess this doesn't matter).

Back