Calling owners of the Digitech 2112 (owners of other rack multiFX jump in too)

Whoopysnorp

OK, I'm entertaining the idea of moving from my Boss ME-30 + various stompboxes to a rack unit (plus my wah, of course). A used Digitech 2112 looks to be a good deal. However, it's not near me, and I can't try it out. The singer in my band does have a Digitech 2101, which he's loaning me so I can play around with it. It looks to be pretty much the same thing--a digital effects unit with two 12AX7 tubes for a distortion path. Digitech 2112 owners: how do you like the unit? Do you have any idea how similar/different the sound is to the 2101? Are there any other rack units you guys cream your pants over?

I currently have a 2101 (had it for years) for most purposes the effects and ability to tweak/create algorythms(spelling?) is excellent. However, the preamp (tube/distortion/etc...) is good, but I was completely blown away by the Line6 POD amp modeler. Currently my setup is this:

Guitar into POD (w/ 4 button footswitch)
Pod into 2101 input. (w/ Control one)
2101 effects send into IP33b input.
IPS33b outputs into 2101 L & R returns.
2101 output(s) to either dual headamps/stereo poweramp - or direct into mixer for recording.

Okay - so leave out the IPS33b - and take a POD and 2101/2112 - Now you've got a kick-butt amp modeler and a kick-butt effects unit. Anyway, that's just my opinion...

Another thing to consider here - is that with the 2101/2112, when changing presets in the middle of a song, you get a little 'cutout' between presets. With the pod and 2101 I can organize the presets so that a particuliar one will have certain effects i'll need for a particuliar song (of course playing cover tunes in bars/clubs, you usually don't need a bunch of effects but..) I just find it more convenient to use the pod for "distortion and clean sounds" (and light effects) and use the 2101 for everything else.

In which case - you might consider going with something like the POD, and then getting another device for effects. If you really like the effects on the 2101/2112, then check out the Digitech TSR12 or TSR24 processors (essencially the same effects engine as the 2101), but without the preamp) - should be able to get a good deal on used ones.

Blah blah - okay :) so i'll stop rambling... hope this helps a little

I have yet to play through any digital guitar pre or amp modeler that can match the feel of my tube amps. If you use feedback for sustain I think you may be disappointed. Make sure you play through it at gig volume before you commit to it if you can.

YMMV

Well, after spending a little time with that 2101, I decided it just didn't rock me enough. It sounded okay, but the distortion didn't really sound much better than my Boss ME-30. The owner of the 2101 has also raved about the POD. I may try it sometime. The thing is, I really want to be able to hit one foot switch and have a bunch of things happen at once (like turn off the distortion, turn on the chorus, turn on the delay) and I want it to be seamless. I've heard that the 2112 is supposed to have seamless patch changes, but the 2101 certainly doesn't. Why do manufacturers continue to make their units this way?

I HATE effects! Bah!

Seriously. I hate multieffects-units on guitar. Don't see the use for it either. Our guitarist has got a wah, which you can't put in there anyway, a delay, and 2 fuzzboxes: a big muff for heavy sound, and some vox fuzz to get this very funny buzzy sound.

And that's it. He came along way, his other band used to be very efx orientated 8 years ago, using a Roland GP16 as "preamp". Then he stayed with rackgear untill he bought a vintage tube amp. His sound got WAY better.... Then he ditched his multiefx thingy too since he only used it for delay anyway.

What efx do you need whoopy? Why do you need a multieffects unit? I prefer one good tone to play with. Unless you're in a coverband and have to emulate alot of sounds. But you're not...

Whoopy, I have a Digi 2120 running into a Flextone II plus. I always find myself bypassing it and running the Flex solo, the Digi is mainly used for more radical chorus, vibrato and delay settings.
I used to own a Boss ME-10. Shoulda never sold it!:mad: Best freaking pedal I ever owned.

Roel said:
What efx do you need whoopy? Why do you need a multieffects unit? I prefer one good tone to play with. Unless you're in a coverband and have to emulate alot of sounds. But you're not...

I like flanging and chorus and phasing and autowah and stuff. I think plain old guitar sounds are boring, and though my primary tones are pretty basic, I'd hate to be without my spacey sounds. It's not about emulating tones of cover songs--I don't do that anyway. I play it how it sounds coming from me. It's about working effects into the compositions themselves.

I've messed with a few different brands. I still have my old trusty Digitech Legend. Digitech seems to have a lot more noise than a few of the others. Nothing that cant be adjusted with the noise gate, but you loose other things when you do that.

I love the distortions that my sturdy ol ART SGX2000 express throws out....

But for most applications that require portability, I use a Zoom GFX-8. All sorts of the normal chorus/flange/delay stuff. auto wah.... expression petal. Personally I think it was a good buy.

Whoopysnorp said:
I like flanging and chorus and phasing and autowah and stuff. I think plain old guitar sounds are boring, and though my primary tones are pretty basic, I'd hate to be without my spacey sounds.

What about buying individual stompboxes ? They are a hassle compared to a single multi-effects unit in some ways, but you end up with more unique sounds from different manufacturers. They stand the test of time better. Good effects pedals become highly valued the older they get but multi-effects become outdated and almost worthless on the used market.

www.musictoyz.com They seem to have everything. I own a bunch of Guyatone and Boss effects pedals.

I've owned the 2120 and also own a SGX2000.

The 2120 has seamless changes, which kick ass, but the seamless setting eats up processor usage. The seamless stuff can really kick ass for things such as allowing a delay to fade away after switching to a non-delayed setting.

The 2112 might also have the seamless changes. Also, there used to be an upgrade available for the 2112 to turn it into a 2120.

Other cool things about the 2112/2120 included intelligent pitch shifting and especially the ability to split distortions left and right. Thus, you could send the SS distortion to a left speaker and the tube distortion to the right to obtain a ballsy full sound.

However, none of these cool features changed the fact that the 2120 had a weak basic tone. After owning it for years, I could never get a good raw tone out of it. Even when used for effects with another preamp, it seemed to digitally color the tone.

Whoop, if ya want tons of effects, the 2112 is decent. If you want good tone, it's a tradeoff. You've already used it and seem to like it. In fact, the 2112 is more similar to the 2101 than it is to the 2120. If you can get it for cheap, it may be worth it.

Alternate recommendations?

Mesa/Boogie TriAxis with Lexicon or TC Electronics effects:
Footwitchable between settings via MIDI. Killer tones and pristine effects. Arguably, there is nothing better.

SansAmp PSA-1 with similar effects:
Also footswitchable MIDI control. Great tones. Cheaper than the TriAxis, but the TriAxis has the best tones.

However, both of these setups may be more expensive than the 2112.

If you want really cheap multi effects, the SGX2000's should be pretty cheap. However, they drastically digitize your tone. It's not terrible, in fact it can be cool, but I prefer a rawer tone.

Actually, I haven't used the 2112. I have used the 2101, and I didn't really like it. So I don't think I'll be buying the 2112.

The reason I don't want to go with all individual stompboxes (though I do have a few of those) is that I want to hit one footswitch and have a bunch of different stuff happen. Can't do that with individual stompers.

Hello everybody.

I have a little problem with my Digitech 2112. When I connect it to a Yamaha mixer it HUMs. A lot more that when I connect it to a small Amp. Somebody told me that it is due to the different Impentances (2112 Out and Yamaha Line Input).

So, I thought if I used DI (stereo) to connect the out of the 2112 in the stereo input of the yamaha this could solve the Hum problem

Any advices please?

Thank you

I guess a google search on this processing device leads to only one place. The HR graveyard.
:D

I still have my old (old old) Digitech GSP 21 Pro sitting on my desktop rack (the predecessor to the 2112). Circa 1990 technology here. Last time I even plugged it in was probably 4 years ago, and that was just out of morbid curiosity. If you're wondering, it still sounds like shit. Not old enough to be retro yet. Certainly these things will become the '59 Les Paul of the digital FX world sometime soon, right? that's when I'll finally make my fortune.

I only have the thing racked up because I already owned it and it was cheaper than buying a new rack blank :D

I briefly became interested in the mid 90s when the Korg G3 came out. It was shit and I was no longer interested in multi-FX.

Back