"Cadillac Records" movie - 7:10PM - Encore channel

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
If you get any of the Encore channels...they're showing "Cadillac Records" the last couple of days on one of them (I caught it last night).
It's on again tonight at 7:10PM EST.

It covers the mid '50s period when Leonard Chess formed Chess Records and discovered blues and R&R greats - Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Little Walter, Willie Dixon, Chuck Berry, Etta James and many more...

Great movie, showing some of the ugly realities of that period that black blues artists had to deal with...and it's full of great blues music! :cool:
Worth watching! :drunk:

Hey, this looks like a film I'd be interested in. Thanks for the tip!

I don't have cable, but Netflix has it on instant-watch.

Good movie!!
I grew up listening to a stack of Chess and Checker 45s my brother gave me when he went off to Viet Nam. Some of the Chuck Berry 'B' sides were incredible. I was probably the only kid in my school who knew who Little Walter and Willie Dixon were. I remember telling everyone when Led Zeppelin's first album came out that most of those songs sounded like old Willie Dixon tunes. They thought I was crazy or something.

And for whatever my opinions's worth, Beyonce's performance at the end is probably the best, most emotional version of that song that's ever been recorded.

Definitely a 'must see' for any music lover!

If you caught the (almost impossible to read) credits at the end of the movie...you saw that Willie Dixon eventually sued Led Zeppelin and won for a million dollars. :)

I agree about Beyonce in the movie. I wish she would sing her own R&B stuff with that kind of deeper, soulful voice...instead she usually sings her own music at the very top of her range, and her voice sounds so thin and almost lifeless...she sounds like she's straining.
But in the movie, having to sing the songs in the original styles...it really brought out some of her best singing IMO.

Back