Built a Guitar

Nola

Hey guys. I stepped away from recording for a while and built a guitar (except for the raw body and neck). Here it is:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The sunburst is hand rubbed using water dyes, and the finish is shellac (flakes mixed with everclear) since I needed safe products in my small apartment.

Okay cool, thanks for checking it out.

Nice looking...what are those pickups?

So just out of curiosity...when you say you built it, was it like from scratch, cutting it out from a raw block of wood, dropping in the rod and fretboard, and banging in the fret wire, etc...
...or were the body and neck purchased pre-cut, with frets already in place...and you did the final finish and addition of hardware and final assembly...?

Either way, good job...I'm just wondering the amount of work you had to put into it. :)

Nice looking...what are those pickups?

So just out of curiosity...when you say you built it, was it like from scratch, cutting it out from a raw block of wood, dropping in the rod and fretboard, and banging in the fret wire, etc...
...or were the body and neck purchased pre-cut, with frets already in place...and you did the final finish and addition of hardware and final assembly...?

Either way, good job...I'm just wondering the amount of work you had to put into it. :)

Oh yeah, I should clarify: I bought a raw body and neck (with the fretboard/frets installed), so I did everything else.

The pickups are goldfoil humbuckers wired for split coil. I thought playing live it would be cool to have the tonal options and some noise control. They sound amazing...I'll have to post something. Kind of like a Dynasonic but with a tighter bottom end and less brittle/more rounded highs.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks nice! Only thing I would change for live band use is a set of volume/tone controls for each pickup. Speaking from experience (with my Tele), it's really nice to be able to switch over to the lead pickup and have a louder volume/different tone all set.

Back