Brown Eyed Girl Bass Sound

stonepiano

hey all,

I'm looking to duplicate that good thump and presence you hear from the bass on Brown Eyed Girl. The playing isn't bad or good but it sure stands out. maybe also because the version i have has the bass panned to the left.

Right now, we've recorded direct through our MX-9000 and has us feeling uninspired. I've got a tube pre i could try. do you think that might help?

I've been playing it with a Fender Precision, which, given the era the original recording was done, is a pretty good bet.

I don't know why, but this song, as simple as it is, is subject to a lot of ignorant tab and chord postings on the internet. I've personally never seen it in the actual key of G, but always in something like E or D. Of course, that may be to make it easier to sing -- Van Morrison's voice is 'way up there...but our vocalist doesn't have any problems with it.

Naturally, the key you play it in is going to affect the sound of the bass part. G, played based on the X fret on the A string works for me, and allows me to drop down to the G on the III fret on the E for the "solo."

hey miles

i think there are two ways to get closer to that sound

one.. as lpdeluxe said use a fender precision..

two... a more musical preamp.. such as avalon or universal audio... quality class A circuitry

little to no compression

maybe bring your bass to guitar center and try a pre out?

good luck

I don't know ...... that sounds like a short scale bass to me. I had to recently listen to it to actually duplicate the bass part for some show I did bass on and they wanted things note for note. I didn't really pursue the sound very much ..... but it had that thump that you get out of basses like an old Gibson or maybe a Hofner, both of them short scale, and they were kinda popular with some players back then.

Brown Eye'd Girl is from... 1967. Might want to try rolling off some of the bass in the bass :D

If it was mastered for vinyl, then (as far as I know) you aren't hearing the same thing you would hear if that bass were recorded today and played on a home stereo, which has nice, full bottom-end reproduction.

You might also want to get ahold of a Fender P-bass and a '59 Fender Bassman (original or repro). When I play any bass through my Bassman (original Jensen speakers w/ replaced head), it sounds very reminiscent of that bass sound - lots of mid-range tone to it. I would imagine you would get a similar sound w/ an all-new reproduction model - sure, it won't sound exactly the same as if you were to take your DeLorean back to 1960 and buy a brand new original, but it would get ya close.

hey miles

i think there are two ways to get closer to that sound

one.. as lpdeluxe said use a fender precision..

two... a more musical preamp.. such as avalon or universal audio... quality class A circuitry

little to no compression

maybe bring your bass to guitar center and try a pre out?

good luck

thanks for the responses and HEY JEFF!

I have a p-bass so that's not a problem. I suppose that UA solo preamp might be a step in the right direction. at least it'll be a step up from the direct out on the line6 bass pod. I've heard reasonable things for the ~ $500 Groove Tubes brick also so i'll probably give that a shot. My latest song is in that sixties soul style and I'd really like it to stand out.

And telepaul, you raise a good question. Not saying it's gospel but I think it's pretty well accepted that you should try to get as close to the sound you want going in while tracking before you start mixing. That philosophy has treated me well on tracking/mixing drums and guitars, hence, the thread here.

thanks again all!

:D

Miles

I don't know ...... that sounds like a short scale bass to me. I had to recently listen to it to actually duplicate the bass part for some show I did bass on and they wanted things note for note. I didn't really pursue the sound very much ..... but it had that thump that you get out of basses like an old Gibson or maybe a Hofner, both of them short scale, and they were kinda popular with some players back then.
Bit late on this one, but I'm fairly certain that the bass on that is a Fender Jazz. David Hayes plays bass on it and I've seen him quite a few times with Van and with others. When he's not playing stand up he plays on a Fender Jazz. He also has the rare distinction of being a Journeyman musician who has managed to stay with "the man" for more than one album and one tour. He must be a saint. No idea what he plays through though..

How to get that sound I'll leave that to those who know stuff about recording. :)

Edit: Just checked this with a friend who is a Van Morrison nut. He reckons the band on the original recording was a studio scratch band so you may want to ignore my comments. Whatever, when I've seen him do the song live it sounds right on Fender Jazz. I'd be interested if anyone does know the line up of the Bang sessions that spawned Brown Eyed Girl?!!

Last edited:
Just my humble opinion: Sounds like a semi-hollow bass through early early solid state amplification. The actual speaker and amplification itself is probably shaping the tone so going direct may not be what you need to be doing.

Well I'm now sure the bass on the original was Eric Oxendine. Have it from a very reliable source. Now just need to fin out what gear he used..Anyone?

thanks for the feedback. i don't have a jazz or a semi-hollow bass but I might be able to borrow one of the two for the weekend. I'll try both.

Mutt, thanks for the history lesson. I'm just as interested to hear your findings as an answer to my problem.

Just my humble opinion: Sounds like a semi-hollow bass through early early solid state amplification. The actual speaker and amplification itself is probably shaping the tone so going direct may not be what you need to be doing.
yeah, I kinda thought it sounded like the Hofner but it could also be some other semi-hollow.
It doesn't sound like Fender bass to me ....... hmmmmm .... maybe a Fender with flat wounds or tapwounds but it still has that dead thonk kinda sound that dies away faster than I would think a Fender would.

Back