broken tubes in mesa. can i switch to the other tubes & still play & not blow a fuse?

videodrone

broken tubes in mesa. can i switch to the other tubes & still play & not blow a fuse?

mesas have the option to switch form the 6L6s or the EL34s, but the EL34 has 2 broke tubes,

so can I switch to the other tubes and play without blowing a fuse,

what happens if i switch to the wrong tubes on accident, will i blow a fuse or worse???

Which model Mesa?

If it's a SimulClass amp you can't switch from the EL34's to the 6L6. The EL34's run all the time. You can only turn the 6L6 on/off.

BTW how did you break your tubes?:confused:

Hi guys, thatnx for your help,

its the dual rectifier 3 channel,

i looked in the manual and it was the "Rectifier tubes 5U4G" tubes,

only 2 of them are broke, i had them out in my room and my 2 year old broke them,

Do you know how much these cost or were I can get new ones???

Thanx in advance!

The 5U4 is a common rectifier tube. The amp will simply make no sound if you attempt to run it without these. Anyplace that sells tubes should have 'em. The only people I've seen that say one sounds better than another are some of the really "out there" audiophiles. Usually it's case of it either works or it don't, and in your case the problem is obvious. ;)

Kids, ya gotta love 'em. My 2-year-old is pretty good about being around my gear but I usually police the area for stuff like that first.

Good luck! :)

OK, I just found some for $10 a tube and $5 shipping,

so should I get just the 2 that I need. Or since these 2 are new and the 3rd unbroken tube that is still in my mesa is not as new. should I get the 3,

also the guy i got this from said the tubes have never really been pushed (if that makes a difference to you guys)

That's a bit much for used rectifiers.

Check out Triode Electronics. Lots of tube guys like this site.

I wouldn't worry about replacing the unbroken one if it works. The only tubes that need to be replaced as a set are the output tubes and their driver.

thanx guys

thanx man! I think im ready to order, but should i match the 2 tubes to be the same as the 3rd tube in the amp, like make sure there the same brands?

i would buy three of the same make, and keep the other as a spare.

But I'm anal about this type of stuff.

foo

I recently called Mesa and had them send me new power and pre-amp tubes for my Boogie Mark III, they've gotten good ones in recently. I understood from years back that you could use 6L6's where the EL34's are and it should be OK, giving a slightly different sound. Mesa's hold up pretty well. Either way, I look at them like tires... It's always better to replace all at the same time and with the same brand, to get the best performance.

The first time I re-tubed my MKIII Simulclass head I switched the 2 EL34's to 6L6's. I ran it that way for about a year and it sounded good, but I found it to be a bit too midrangey that way. The next time I went back to the EL34's and like it better. It has more sparkle when clean and spank when dirty. If I want that midrange bark I'll fire up my Super Reverb.;)

Actually, I got a 5UG new for reallly cheap....the power tubes are the expensive ones. I own a Triple 3 channel and the tubes are great....haven't replaced them in a long long time.

You can use your amp without them. Boogie told me that if a Rectifier tube gets fucked in the middle of a show, just flip the switch on the back of the head off of the tube rectifier. So you can still play while waiting for your tubes. I would personally go to a boogie dealer and get boogie brand tubes....or order straight from them.

Back