broken string, broken will

bo.monro

so i have had problems with my strings breaking on my gretsch bo diddley. they always break at the bridge and they break quite frequently. i admit that i am passionate about my music and get into it and strum hard, but honestly sometimes i put on a new string and am gently strumming it and *TWANG* and several curse words come shortly later.

what can i do? i will try to get a few pics of the bridge up here to show what im dealing with.

thanks

If they always break at the bridge, then you PROBABLY have a rough saddle (with special emphasis on PROBABLY).

You can either try smoothing it out with some 600 and then 1000 grit sand paper, or you can take it to a good repair shop and have them do it (predictably, I would advise you to take it to a good repair shop). Myself, I use my nut files, but you don't really want to do that as you would spend more money on the files than you would by taking it to a repair shop. It should not be too expensive ($15-25), and will likely take care of your problem.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Like Light said, most likely a rough spot or a burr on the saddle. It's easy to fix if you have the tools, if not it shouldnt cost much to have it done.

bo.monro said:
so i have had problems with my strings breaking on my gretsch bo diddley.

I guess you received all the right advice you need ... but tell me a little bit more about the bo diddley, my fellow gretschian friend!!!

cheers
alfred

take the broken string, apply pressue on both ends of the strings at the saddle, and go back and forth a few times. fixed it for me.

Back