British "Alternative" Sound

ruebarb

I saw the Stereophonics and Charlatans UK last night. Sounded great. It made me think about all the current British bands that I like and what they're using for gear - I'm kind of looking for trends and how they get that almost distinctive wall of fuzz sound. I've determined that Vox and Matchless amps seem to work well with Les Paul's. Of course, I suppose I could get a Marshall too, but I'm trying to get a fuller picture. Anyone out there (especially in the UK) have any advice?

(then I have to mic it - that'll be a mother@*^$#% all in itself

RB

You can't like the Sterophonics-too average. Try Travis who are a liitle better(going to be supporting Oasis on some of the US tour upcomming). Did I say Oasis. If you haven't heard them-get their music-first two albums especially. Allthough I do not know about the gear the Sterophonics/Charlatans use-though I think Charlatans-marshall amplification you should listen to Radiohead(the bends and o.k computer albums) if you wanna' here a great British band (scotish) whith unbelievable sound FX and all the rest.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ruebarb:
I saw the Stereophonics and Charlatans UK last night. Sounded great. It made me think about all the current British bands that I like and what they're using for gear - I'm kind of looking for trends and how they get that almost distinctive wall of fuzz sound. I've determined that Vox and Matchless amps seem to work well with Les Paul's. Of course, I suppose I could get a Marshall too, but I'm trying to get a fuller picture. Anyone out there (especially in the UK) have any advice?

(then I have to mic it - that'll be a mother@*^$#% all in itself

RB
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you wanna' here some great sounds, use of gear etc. buy radioheads albums (the bends, o.k computer). The charlatans generally use marshal amplification but i'm not sure about the sterophonics (and I don't really care cus' there not that good-listen to Travis/Oasis/Stone roses if you wanna' here some good stuff).

Digging up an old post here...

So, what *are* Radiohead using? I saw them live but couldn't see the amps. I love that sound but am lost about how to get close to it myself. I'm in the market for a new amp and I don't know what I want.

Anyone?

Radiohead uses:
Johnny uses a Vox ac30 and a peavy solidstate of some sort.
Thom uses a couple of fenders.
Ed uses a Mesa rectifier 1/2 stack.
they all use fender guitars and various others.
and all use efects,thom does use alot of em but ed and johnny use quite abit.

[This message has been edited by reco (edited 07-10-2000).]

Surely Radiohead are from Oxford?

Not Scotland.

I agree, stereophonics are a bit mediocre (and Welsh) but then I'd say that Oasis and Travis are equally so (not Welsh tho').

'Fraid I don't know much about British sound, apart from Vox are supposed to have it, and also that alot of British guitar pop producers tend to like a distinct retro slant ie use old stuff!

bye,

matt

checK: http://www.mp3.com/carolynn

Thanks for the info reco.

A new question: Is there a lighter and cheaper version of the AC30 (what is the AC15?)?? The Ac30 is a bit beyond me at this point, but I'm still looking for that sound.

[This message has been edited by michael12 (edited 07-11-2000).]

It's the baby brother of the AC30:
15 watt
all-valve
master volume and spring reverb
the top boost reverb has a single pre-amp channel identical to the brilliant channel on vintage AC30 top boost amplifiers.

There is also the new VOX pathfinder and the AC1 VOX mini-amp.

You can't go wrong with a VOX if you want that sound. It is the ultimate and the AC30 will be my next purchase without a doubt.

I gotta agree with Krystof01..the AC-15 is one of the baddest amps I've ever recorded with.

While we're on the subject, Verve records have a lot of amazing guitar work on them. If you've never heard it, start with Urban Hymns (no, none of it really sounds much like "Bittersweet Symphony").

Back