Blocking a trem

Another approach would be to build a plug for the trem hole.

They way I would do it (and I've done it once before) would be to make a plug, but a little bigger than the tremolo hole you're filling. Be sure you have the height of the plug correct so it fills the depth of the trem hole, or slightly higher so you can sand it down to the right height. Use the plug as a template and draw an outline of the plug around the trem hole. Then use a router to widen the trem hole to the outline of the plug. Save the sawdust. Glue the plug in place and use the leftover sawdust mixed with glue as a filler.

My theory is this is good practice for woodworking. It's a nice easy challenge that can build your confidence. And, you know.... if you eff it up, you buy another body. $50 isn't that all crazy for a guitar body.

The one that I linked to shouldn't need you to plug anything, but you would have to check the dimensions to see if there is ample wood to support the screws. I think the dimensions were on the page.

Sucks that you ordered a body with the trem routing. I would have probably gone elsewhere because plugging a big rout like that is a pain. There are lots of places on the web that sell plain tele bodies. You could probably call somebody like this to get exactly what you want.

Supra Tone

How long before GF gets in a new shipment?

Just build it with a trem and be done with it. :) You ‘don’t’ have to use it but it’s there if you want to.
Once you’ve got it built and are playing it, you’ll just enjoy the guitar rather than obsessing over the details.

Back