Beware DeArmond basses

I'm convinced that these things are just shitty. I appologize to those before me who love them, but I just received my SECOND, and it's CRAPPIER than the bass it replaced. This one has a buzz coming from somewhere near the neck joint (no it's not the battery). It's also got a bad knob, and the neck is sooo out of whack it isn't even funny.

From an instrument standpoint, all other problems aside, these basses are not high quality. They feel like a typical Peavey, Ibanez, etc low end guitar. For $200 they wouldn't be a BAD buy for somebody who is either new to the guitar or just needs something to get by on. However, with the poor wiring, shitty hardware, and overall loose construction, I can't recommend one to anybody.

Sam Ash is still getting DeArmond Pilot basses in as far as I know (I got my second well after people said they were out). The basses I got were Pilot Pro's, not the lower-end Pilot.

Perhaps what's happened is that DeArmond decided to fold, but is continuing to use up their remaining stock. This would imply some serious short-timer's disease, and would explain the HORRIBLE QC and overall shotty construction.

Avoid the temptation. Dealing with Sam Ash makes things all the worse. This whole ordeal has taken an entire month, and there's $400 total on my credit card that's going to incur interest charges because Sam Ash is so fricking slow, and the return shipping is ground which will take 10 days. (i still haven't received the tags to ship the first bass back, but they are "in the mail")

Slackmaster 2000

that's a bummer....my $139 Pilot Plus is everything I wanted and needed.....plays great, looks good......

$400 ?????

did ash charge you twice for your Pro?...I thought it cost $199....the Deluxe was $299..........you need to raise some serious hell if they did that.....gibs

Demand they take it back and credit your account for the full amount plus shipping and interest. A national operation like Sam Ash will most likely defer to you if your complaints are legitimate. You can also call your credit card company and contest the charge.

Oh, no. See when I got the bass replaced, I basically ordered another one instead of waiting for the RMA process. So my credit card was charged twice, but both charges *should* be refunded...I hope. :)

Note to Sam Ash customers. When you try to return something, they'll tell you "our customer service department will contact you in a few days with your RMA number." This *probably* won't actually happen, but the RMA will go through and UPS will show up at your door to pick it up at some random time in the near future. This probably won't work for most people who do stuff like WORK during the day, so after two days call Sam Ash and tell them you want them to mail you return tags and they'll do it. Now, I'm not sure how well this method works, because it's been 4 days and I still haven't gotten the return tags for my original Pilot, but they said they would do it...

Slackmaster 2000

Man, I'm sorry to hear you're having so many problems with this. I've never messed around with anything but the Pilot Deluxe, so I can't speak from experience, but you're the first guy I've encountered who's had problems with any of the Pilot line, other than trivial wiring problems, which are endemic to DeArmonds for some inexplicable reason.

I can definitely say that you are NOT the only one I've encountered with gross problems with the SamAsh.Com ordering and return routine. I'm in the middle of a eight-weeks hassle over a bad Starfire Special and it's nowhere near resolution.

With Ash (or any other online outfit) if things go smoothly, great - but if there's any trouble, the whole thing just turns into a giant nosebleed. While they won't admit it, most large companies make "customer service" in terms of returns difficult so people will not undertake it lightly. Sort of the "rebate psychology."

It's stupid, but it definitely is the (mis)management trend.

Good luck on this and don't let it get to you.

I'm sorry to hear you're going thru such a hassle. I remember a month or so back waiting to hear what you thought about this bass. When you got your first one they still had a few left, but with this second experience you're having, I guess I'll pass. Too bad...seemed like a decent deal.

I'm surprised that a company their size wouldn't just issue an RA over the phone and let you shoot it back to them UPS collect. That's pretty much what everybody else does.

Good luck, Slack.

That really does suk. Thanks for the heads-up. I've always had good returns from Musician's Friend. I order a guitar & seperate case, the guitar was on back order for 2 weeks so I cancelled it & the case. The next day the case arrived. I called M.F. , they noticed the mistake & email a link w/ a return form so I wouldn't have to pay for the return shipping. That's customer service!

Now to give Sam Ash credit, they are supposedly paying for the return shipping on both basses, because they're both defective. (defective enough to me anyways, and they didn't ask a lot of questions)

The problem is getting a damn RMA number. "We'll call you with an RMA." What the HELL kind of policy is that? VERY bizzare. Just make sure to keep calling and calling. Their customer service people are at least friendly and appear to be helpful. I haven't had a lot of hassles, just a lot of stupid mistakes.

Slackmaster 2000

I used to cringe when in the company of someone making a stink in public to a clerk, cashier, ect., or when heaven forbid they should ask for a manager. That was a long time ago.

I do still believe that one should be mindful of their dignity, but I have become so tired of being mis-handled by young, clueless twits that spew out bullshit policy as if they believe your encounter with them is your first retail experience ever. Drives me nuts! And nobody ever seems to be "authorized" to make a call. Makes me wonder why they were left to conduct business.

But it's not really the fault of the youngster with the two nose rings, cell phone stuck to his ear and barely capable of english. It's the managers that don't train people how to give good service.

Anyway, there's my rant. I just came from the video store where some 18yr old jerkweed's spikey hair almost caught fire when I asked him to explain what constitues "late return" on a five day rental I've had for two days!

Slack, for what it's worth, I wouldn't hesitate bypassing the phone droids and asking for a manager and explaining that your time and money is just as valuble as theirs. "Gimme my RA and your UPS number!" :D

I used to cringe, too. But times have changed. I've grown more sophisticated. Now I just whip out my uzi.:D

Hix, that's bound to become a social buzz-phrase: Uzi articulation. :cool:

Isn't one of Palestine's ministers named Uzi?

not a Pilot or Pilot Plus, but indeed a bass.

Slack,

I have a De Armond "Ashbory" bass- owned it for nearly a year
now. It's not my regular instrument as far as basses go; (my U.S.
Vintage Reissue 1962 Jazz is) but the quality of this little instrument pleases me. The fit and finish is all really tight and good and I've yet to replace the silicone rubber strings. The 18"
fretless scale seems a little odd compared to a larger bass but the sound from its piezo pickup is great. The Pilots and Pilot Plus
that I've seen didn't impress me in performance or other aspects.
But it seems that De Armond did right by Guild's little Ashbory.

Greets and peace!

faithmonster:)

Back