Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Better than Les Paul

Thanks

Wink

Sign in to disable this ad
    If you're thinking about buying a Gibson Les Paul (as I was), and if one of the reasons is because you like the way they look (as opposed to the way a Fender Squire or something looks), check out the Gibson Blues Hawk. It is shaped like a Les Paul but it is hollow bodied. It sounds great, plays well, and it won't break your back. Mine weighs about the same as my Fender acoustic guitar, whereas the Les Paul is about as totable as a wheelbarrow full of bricks. Avoid hernias.

Thanks

Talking

I like the Les Paul because of the way it sounds. The Blues Hawk is a nice guitar, but it is not a Les Paul.

Thanks

Wink

Must be a lot of little guys out there. Why is it that I'm the only one who actually likes the weight of the Les Paul? It feels good....everything else I pick up feels kinda fake.

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks

Wink

I own an old Epiphone Genesis. It is sweet - just like a Les Paul but it is double cut away using the same cut that the Les Paul's cutaway has.

I agree with Slack - I like the heavy guitar - Nice sweet sustain.
    But I do love my American Stratocaster alot - I think that the rosewood fretboard on my strat takes away the "fake" feel you speak of Slackmaster. (but I know what you're talking about)

[This message has been edited by Lorddiagram (edited 12-21-1999).]

Thanks

Wink

I really prefer the ebony fretboard on my Les Paul over rosewood. I think that only the Custom LP's have the ebony where the standards and studios have rosewood.

The only thing I could do without on my LP is the painted neck...I really don't like the feel of it as much as natural wood (glazed or treated however they do it).

I really like to *feel* a guitar (get your mind out of the gutter). I like heavy strings, heavy necks, and heavy bodies. Though sometimes I still break out my old Ibanez for fun. The thing weighs maybe 5 pounds and has a really thin wizard neck. Man, I'm used to doing neck bends on my les paul....with that Ibanez it's hilarious...one of these times I'm going to snap the sucker off. Plus I string it with .09's or .10's which is a blast for speed!

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks

Wink

Yeah, I was a fender man for along time!
    I have several sweet strats. I finally bought a LP standard. I love it. Through my Carvin head it sings for days. I'm not a big guy, but I'm stout so the weight doesn't bother me. As for the painted neck it gave me hang-ups at first but I just clean it with Gibson guitar polish before I play. It makes it super fast. Still love the strats for clean and blues. Can't beat the neck pick-up sound of a strat....

Viking_______________________________________

Thanks

Thumbs down

I have to disagree. I love the fact that my SG '62 reissue has about half the weight of my old SG. And I don't believe that the difference in the sound is related to the mass of these two axes. Electronics were better on the old one. I've gotta lift heavy stuff all day long, so when I pick up my guitar to relax, I don't need a boat anchor.

Thanks

Wink

While we are on the subject of what makes a guitar sound good - what can anyone tell me about the difference between bolt-on necks and "neck-thru" necks. I've read that neck-thru's give you more tone and I guess it makes sense that they might but yet I still see heaps of my fav guitarists using bolt-ons!!!

Thanks

Wink

I was never bothered by the weight of my Les Paul until I played a Les Paul Custom Lite. It has all of the tone and sustain ("you can go out and have a bite and still be hearin' that one..." ) that my old Black Beauty had, with half the weight. The Gibson Luths knew what they were doing when they made that baby. I wonder why they were discontinued???

Thanks

Cool

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but one of the big difference between neck-through and bolt-ons in addition to tone is sustain. The obvious reason for both of these qualities to be better on a neck through is that the vibrations are broken short on bolt-on's where the body meets the neck. On neck-through's, vibrations are able to conitnue throughout the guitar.

Thread Information