The best way to make an acoustic guitar heard live... microphone, pickup, or what?

pisces7378

I have written a ton of material in the last 3 years on an acoustic guitar. Now I am going to start playing these songs live. They are not calm James Taylor as there are other instruments around the acoustic that will be banging out some pretty loud parts. But the acoustic guitar is important to the sound. Now, I have a great acoustic guitar but it isn't acoustic/electric. I have in the past tried to use one of those Dean Markley pop in acoustic pickups. No offense to anyone that likes then, but they are shit. I get more low end rumble and feedback than if I stood 1 cm away from a cranked up Marshall stack. And the sound that does make it through is weak, tinny and clanky. I am looking for a method of amplification that as closely as possible recreates the real sound from the guitar, without havint to sit in an isolation booth on stage with a large diaphram Neumann mic infront of the sound hole.

I have found that even professional musicians don't pay so much attention to the on stage sound of an acoustic guitar. Even if I watch a Bruce Springsteen, or Rolling Stone's concert, the acoustic guitars don't sound full and sweet the way it would if I were sitting right next to Keith or Bruce in their living room. I might just be asking for too much... but what is a pickup, micing system, amplification technique, or whatever that will give me world class acoustic guitar amplification?

Thanks!

You are asking for too much...

If you are playing gigs at different places you'll have a real tough time getting that sound you want.If you are a house band you could probably get closer seeing as you'd have the benefit of trial and error plus experience in the same setting.
In the day I played in an acoustic duet and even in that setting had occasional problems.
IMHO trying to get that acoustic recorded sound live is a daunting if not impossible task.
I highly reccomend Ovation guitars for live playing as the epaulet soundhole design rejects feedback and the slender necks(in most cases)are easy on the hands if you are playing it all night.I know Ovations are'nt popular with the recording crowd but they definitely did the trick for me when I was gigging.

GOOD LUCK!

Pickups are easiest live, but they aren't reknown for a warm studio-like sound. If the guitarist is fairly static onstage, I've had pretty good luck with the Shure SM94 (or one of the similar lower-budget condensors). These I like because they are cheap, they sound pretty good but cutoff around 16kHz like the SM57/58 & most importantly, they fit the same mic clip as the SM57/58, so there are no mic stand worries onstage.

If the guitarist moves around a lot, there are small condensors that clip on a guitar, but I have no experience with them.

You didn't say what kind of guitar you are playing! Some sound a lot better than others when amplified. I have a Kramer Farrington that plays like a dream but sounds like a tin can with rubber bands stretched across it when plugged into an amp. I picked up a 10 band EQ and use it in line and it made a world of difference, it's not a cure all but it did help to give me a fuller tone.

The Fishman pickups are pretty nice and they are a world apart from the DM's. Even their lower end models sound great with a good preamp. I've been playing my Larivee w/fishman plus through a Ghost and JBL Eons and it's full and clear without that annoying rubbery sound.

Under saddle piezo pickups and magnetic sound hole pickups will cut thru the live mix better than mics or soundboard transducers and are less prone to feedback too. What I use live is a mixture of the 2, the piezo's crisp high end and the magnetic's duller "electric" sound compliment each other and fill in the other's weaknesses. I don't believe you will find a mic to be a practical solution unless it is a very controlled environment, like onstage in a large auditorium in a quiet concert setting. The resulting sound is mellower than a piezo only system, and retains enough high end to sound like an acoustic. This isn't the true sound of the instrument, but it is a musical sound, pleasing enuf once you get used to it, and cuts thru. A soundhole cover is a must to help prevent feedback if it will be a semi-loud environment - they are cheap and removeable. I think you are going to have to make some compromises in your live sound - if you are going to be in small-medium clubs ( ? ) with other loud instruments there is just too much ambient sound to be able to project all of the delicate nuances of an acoustic guitar's true sound. Your audience wants to hear music that touches them on some emotional or gut level, they aren't going to care or really even know the difference, especially if you are rockin' them.
Let us know what type of venue you will be performing in, and the other instruments in the group.

Oh, yeah, I also have a Kramer Ferrington A/E - but mine sounds more like a wooden cigar box with steel strings. I have used it live on occasions (I'm primarily an electric player). No negative comments ever from any soundman or audience member. It has a very percussive timbre (or timber), is not as prone to feedback as most acoustics, and is for sale...

Back