Best playing elec guitar amp for under $300

Aaron Cheney said:
Look for a used Tech21 Trademark 60 on Ebay.

A
Heck yeah! A complete kickass amp! Extremely versatile, the reliability of solid state with the dynamic sensitivity and overdrive sound of tubes, and light weight (compared to most). Dude, if you don't buy that one that Aaron posted, I might just have to buy it for myself to have a second amp!

If you need something that can cover a lot of tonal bases then the Vox already mentioned is a good choice. It is a modeler but the models feel a little more organic to than the Line 6 stuff. I haven't played the Tech 21 but have heard good things from other guys.

Check out this little Mesa Boogie.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43374&item=3757987787&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

These are discontinued but they are GREAT little amps. Very loud, good distortion tones, nice cleans. They won't have all the bells and whistles of a modeler but the basic tone is there.

It depends on if the kid is picky about tone yet or wants something to cop all those radio sounds. The Vox is a safe bet, but something used with tubes will get him heading down the "tone" road we all find ourself on at some point.

Thanks guys. I already ordered the Pignose (it's a new 40W tube amp; the risk is that it's constructed in China). http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--PIGG40V. I fugure that if he wants distortion or the like he'll need pedals anyway. I figured I could also use it for harp in my own full band gigs. Hopefully it'll pan out.

You play harp? How well? I have a song that could use a wailin' country/blues harp solo, and I 've been looking everywhere for someone that can pull it off.

A

Aaron Cheney said:
You play harp? How well? I have a song that could use a wailin' country/blues harp solo, and I 've been looking everywhere for someone that can pull it off.

A

I can do it Aaron. No doubt. Just let me know whether you want high lonesome or heavy overdrive sound, what key it's in (I would probably use second position for something like this), and what format (I'm guessing that you'll want to send .wav files back and forth).

Back