Best mic for guitar amp?

LTG

I currently have a few SM57's that I've been using for just about everything. I still am not getting the sound I want from the 57's. Does anybody know what type of condensor mic would sound good micing a Crate amp?

Your tone might not be the mic, but the amp. I'm sure Crate's are not really considered the best quality amps. The absolute BEST deal in amps is an early 70's Fender Deluxe Reverb. You can go to a guitar show and get one for about $550 or 500. They're only 15 watts, but the thing smokes. It's not really loud enough for practicing with a band (You need a Vibroloux for that, it's about 15 watts more), but for practicing at home and recording without drums at the same time it's absolutely the best. To elaborate a little more about the Vibroluox, it's similar to the Deluxe Reverb but it weighs considerably more. It's going to run you about $100 or 150 more, but for most people, it's worth it. I think I've rambled enough now (I'm a guitar and ampaholic). GOOD LUCK!

Before I'd spend $$$ on an expensive mic to record a Crate amp, I'd put my money on a Line6 POD. Its less than a good mic($275)and
you'll get better tones and more flexibility than with the crate, no matter what mic you use.

Regards,
PAPicker

Thanks for all the great responses. I already own the POD, but for some reason I still don't get the best tones. I use the POD direct A.I.R, but it still doesn't sound good. Could it be because I'm going from an analog mixer to digital sound card?

LTG:
Here's the big question.
Do You like the POD tones you get using as a practice amp ( i.e. no line outs ) and if so, do you get the same tones when recording ? If not, somethings not hooked up correctly. If you don't get the stereo line outs into your mixer correctly, the POD tones will be squashed.

Regards,
PAPicker

But I would say the MXL 990 is a cheap condenser mic, and it does a nice job.

It's a pretty grainy sounding mic...though I guess if you like the extra grit in your tone, it could work. I bought one during an MF sell-off a few years back...tried it...put it back in its plastic box, and it sits waaaaaaay in the back of my mic locker. :)

Try a Cascade Fat Head ribbon...not expensive, but much better for electric guitars/cabs.

about the amps

MXL 990 Condenser Microphone with Shock Mount. Inexpensive and does a nice job. Now about the guitar kid amp comment, I guess I'm a little late to this tread, but in case anyone stumbles onto it, The princeton reverb is the 15 watt amp, the Deluxe reverb is 24 watts, and the Vibrolux Reverb is 35 watts. And believe me, even the little Princeton is more than capable when it comes to practicing with a band, or even small to medium gigs. I have to keep my princeton turned down to 3 or 4 so I don't drown out the rest of the band, which is a shame because the real tone starts shining at around 6 or 7. Heck, last week I saw a guy play a concert with over 1000 people in the audience, and he was using the Princeton Reverb. And if the sound gets lost on a larger stage, slap a mic on it, just to get back to what this thread is about. Maybe an MXL 990?

...Fender Deluxe Reverb. You can go to a guitar show and get one for about $550 or 500. They're only 15 watts, but the thing smokes. It's not really loud enough for practicing with a band...

I beg to differ. I've got a '65 Deluxe Reverb and it's plenty loud for playing with a full band.

even though it's 10 yrs old I'd say the guys problem was the crate amp (Yuck) not the 57

Probabably true. However,crate did produce a couple tube amps that were actually very good sounding. Their Blue Voodoo had a mesa type vibe to it and more recently they made a blonde little amp called a palomino that is very "fenderish' sounding using el84's. I think they come 1X8, 1X12, and 2X12.

a Ribbon will do very well with your 57

also, I want to think the Crate is not the best of amps, but I haven't heard yours. with that said, my first order of business would be looking for a much better amp.

Last edited:
I would agree with the posts above and say most likely it is just the crate amp itself, but your best bet would most likely be the sennheiser 421...or the AT4050. Thats just my input from working in the studio and what we use alot.

several great mic choices listed here. For those on a very tight budget that want an alternative to an sm57 for a close mic on a guitar cab, i'm a fan of of the senheiser e609. Slightly dif tone than the 57 and therefore in some cases it might fit your needs better.

Some quick advice

Hi!

Just a couple of questions. What interface and DAW are you using to record your amp? Is there anything in your signal chain before the amp? What type of guitar are you using? How long is the cable between it and your amp and how long is the cable between your 57 and the interface?

Also, what about the sound of the 57 don't you like? The reason I ask is because a couple of the mics mentioned in this thread will share certain characteristics with the 57. Any condenser mic you use will tend to bring out the low end of the amp, but also they will sharpen the highs quite a bit (just the nature of the mic). Another thing to consider; what kind of speakers are you listening to your recording through?

All of this is to say, the specific problem you're experiencing with your 57 may not be the 57 at all. I've used Crate amps and best amp in the world or not, they sound pretty decent. However, if the quality of the 57 that you don't like is the muffled sort of 'muddy' quality the crate amp might be emphasizing this as they tend to be voiced more toward the chunky metal rhythm side of the spectrum.

A final note, if you do end up getting a new mic (particularly a ribbon mic) DON"T throw the 57 totally out of your arsenal. Ribbon mics can make your mids and high mids awful screechy without a nice mellow dynamic mic (like the 57) to even them out.

Happy recording!

-Tim

Mics for Guitar Cabs

Hi,

I've had success using a Sennheiser e906 close in conjunction with a Rode NT2-A about 1 to 1.5 meters back in figure 8 configuration, have a listen to airplaydirect.com/steviepaige for examples, and then blend the two.

I have also used Sennheiser e609 which aren't quite up to the e906 and a nice surprise was the e604 drum mic. Another dynamic option in the Audix i5, which is not too dissimulator to the Shure 57, but for some reason I don't like the voice of the 57, but find the i5 doesn't suck.

Cheers,
Chris

Back