best guitar effects processors

pchorman

What are the most favored non-rack mounted and affordable (i.e. less than $500) guitar processors out there?

I see many POD fans on this forum, but this device seems more applicable for direct recording rather than through an amp. It this so?

Thanks

They advertise it as a direct recording tool. I've used mine though an amp and it sounds okay, but if you've got the amp then......

Well, the problem about the POD is that red kidney. Buy yourself a POD pro; although it is in the form of a rack you can buy a POD foorboard and there you have it. There is a switch on the back which switches it from live to studio mode. The other alternative is a GT-5; it is pure effects but the sound is not as capable.

You don't like that red kidney bean shape? I thought about that at first. I wondered why not rack mount or at least a boxier shape. But after using it I began to like the comfort and portability of the unit. I don't have to be right next to a rack or anything and it's right there wherever the guitar is. Anywhere in the room is comfortable and the cable goes to wherever you want from the POD anyway. I like it that way now. I also use several rooms for computers and gear and I need the portability. Sometimes I may want to sit on the sofa or my bed and practice. It would be a pain to have to move the rack around or take it out and put it back in, etc.

If you are talking about something to plug into an amp,for cheap the Zoom stuff can get some good sounds,and for more dead presidents the Digitech RP2000 is pretty cool.One thing about the POD when you're using it with an amp;the footswitch for it is pretty expensive...Cheers!

I spent the "rip-off" money for the POD microphone stand mount. I love it on the mic stand....can easily adjust stuff without bending over...but 20 bucks for a bent piece of metal...I probably should have made one, but it is toooooo easy to order out of the catalogs ;-)

the pod got old..
I have a Digi. Rp3 and like it alot i bought for $150 used and think it rocks.

It's kind of your own taste though. Zoom sounds a little too 'plastic' for me, but Digitecch is quite ok. POD's footswitch is quite expensive. I still like to work with just a few single effects and a great guitar-amp combination instead of all sorts of digital effects... But you just can't ignore some of the benefits of those multi-effects.
good luck!

Some of you guys are missing the point. The POD is a direct recording tool. No amp required. You're comparing it to effects processors. Like apples to oranges. Get hip.

I still don't understand why a device (the POD here) can be such a highly-praised direct recording tool but not a worthwile amp driver. I see that it does "amp modeling", but it also has a full range of effects, so why would these sound great in one situation and not in the other?

Sorry about the confusion.
Philip

pchorman,

Well, the POD is supposed to stand in for what everything sounds like at the end -- after the guitar signal through the amp through the effects and out the speaker into the mic... Running it through an amp after all that is akin to taking the mic'ed signal from the real thing, then running it back through another amp and set of effects again and mic'ing it again at the end. It seems to me that that would not sound particularly good.

The POD does sound pretty good through a clean amp with the AIR switch off -- but not as good as a good amp with a good effects chain would. It excels as a direct recording device but is only pretty good as a live effects box -- unless you take it through a really good PA system in lieu of an amp.

-AlChuck

Pod tends to Mudify everything....
Thats why an amp and a pod just arent so good. an efects prossesor can do both recording and live amp.

And the POD is great without having to mic an amp. Sounds like you're finally catching on Reco.

Back