Best Combo Amp for Under $300?

Outlaws said:
A MIDI pedal will allow you to control your effects much more deeply. Also, you can edit your effects...I dont' get what you mean....there are 99 user presets, that is for storing your edited effects. You might wanna read the manual. ;)

Really?! I must have missed that part. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the correction.

I have the 210 version of that amp. It is a great amp for the price. Despite others who bash behringer and say its cheap and will break down, mine never has had a problem and i've had it about two years. You can edit the effects a little but nothing extensive. I would read the manual. Have fun with your new amp.

for what it's worth, I've owned a blues jr. and personally, i think it's a pretty shitty little amp. the clean is piercing and the overdrive is muddy. plug it into a 2x12 cab and maybe it'll be a different story. i've also tried out the peavey classic 30 and 50. imo, they're also mediocre amps. i play everything from slow blues to raunchy in your face hard rock stuff. all tubes amps are'nt equal and quite often, some of the solid states beat out alot of the modern production tube amps, to my ears. i love tube amps but there sure are alot of crappy ones out there.

i hate seeing something like the blues jr. recommended over and over when it's such a mediocre little amp. it definately does'nt put out any low end, even enough for blues playing, imo. the only use i've found for a blues jr. is slide guitar and it works pretty good for that.

In a few weeks I am going to start recording again after quite a few years. I was looking for an amp and decided on a little 5w epiphone that looks and sounds much like the amp I was using in '58. I imagine that you could use it with a band if it was run thu the PA system with the right mic. Effects? I don't use many, usually only reverb which can be added in the mix. This amp can be had for less than 100 bucks ..... there is also an upgraded version of this amp availible. I am also buying a 40w Traynor because I am going to start giging again. There ain't much around for under $250 .... most of the stuff I tried in that price range sounded like crap. Spend some money ... be patriotic .. the USA runs on debt. Do your part!

Henry Mars said:
There ain't much around for under $250 .... most of the stuff I tried in that price range sounded like crap.

I agree. There are alot of crappy sounding amps out there. I've heard that little epiphone junior amp is alot of fun. I still have'nt had a chance to try one.

I have a Trademark 60 that I use for practice and rehearsal. It's light, versatile, and sounds better than the majority of the small amps that I've tried. I'm playing an outside party this weekend and am planning to take it to see how it does volume wise. It's not a terribly loud amp though. I usually run the volume at about 1 o' clock at rehearsal.

bongolation said:
Bottom line seems to be that these amps, despite the venerable Vox name, are nothing but more bottom-of-the-barrel Chinese gear made from dirt-cheap, noisy passive components for kids and beginners who don't know quality amps from junk.

Well, I like being modest enough to always consider myself a "kid" and a "beginnger"......but I thought I knew something about "junk".......thanks for setting me straight.

Any junk dealers wanna buy an AD50VT?? :(

STAT1STICK said:
Excuse me? I've been in a band for more than 8 years! I know exactly what it's like being on stage. One of the main reasons I want a loud amp is so that I don't have to rely on the sound man. There have been too many times that he has fucked up our set by turning the bass way up and the guitars way down... Or maybe he'll forget to turn up the guitars all together and you try to play your opening song and nothing comes out in front.
This is a problem with the sound man, not your amp. I was in a band 9 years before you were born, I know what a sound man is supposed to do......

STAT1STICK said:
In short... I don't trust people with my sound anymore.
This is a problem with the sound man, not your amp.....

STAT1STICK said:
No one knows what I want my gear to sound like except for me and if that means that I have to tell the sound man to fuck off, then so be it.
This is a problem with you, not the sound man....

STAT1STICK said:
Also... Yes! I am on a budget! If I had enough money I'd go out and buy a Mesa Road King and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
No....we'd be talking about Rivera and you would be speechless.

STAT1STICK said:
And since when was it okay for punishing someone for their opinion?
More inexperience.......Know thy forum, mister!

STAT1STICK said:
BTW... Wether you want to believe it or not, we're all struggling musicians. Yes even YOU! Put it this way... If you're reading this, you're a struggling musician. If you weren't, you wouldn't have to check this forum for advice on ANYTHING! You'd have people to do it for you.
What a crock of sheit. Do you realize how much counseling it will take to cure this attitude? The biggest change for the better in your life will not have anything to do with sound......it will be the day you realize that it aint all about "Help ME....ME.....ME......Help ME....ME! I'm so po' and I struggle so......Help MEEEEEE! Do it for MEEE! Get someone to do it for MEEEEEE!!" :(

STAT1STICK said:
Well, I finally bought an amp. I decided to go with the Behringer GMX212. I have to say that this amp is pretty sweet. It has tons of features and it sounds really good. I mean... A lot better than I expected. The clean sounds are a little quiet but I have set them to my liking. The distorted sounds blow me away! I am so impressed!.......
Which explains why the excellent advice you received above seemed so worthless to you. I've walked away from more amps than you will ever play in your life, but I ran away from the Behringer amps and never looked back. Playing a Behringer amp made me NEED a real tube amp more than ever.

STAT1STICK said:
It has lots of ins and outs in the back. I still haven't figured out what they're all for, yet. But, it only has one in on the front which could be a problem for some people but not me.
Oh, an autobiographical statement! Thanks for that look "behind the scenes".....Born and reared in GC!

STAT1STICK said:
One last thing... It's loud! It has 120 watts! when I crank this thing up, the sound doesn't lose clarity or start to distort... It stays clear and audiable.
That's a good description of every tube amp I've played.....

This guy obviously sells Behringer crap. Only people who rely on Behringer sales for income will leave posts like this. "By golly, I cant figure out how it works, but I know a great sounding Behringer amp when I see one! Ya know what I mean, Vern?"

No wonder you are struggling.......

astoebe said:
you asked for advice....people gave it to you. maybe not in the most civil manner ever, but if you ask for it don't complain.
Exactly. Know thy forum.

astoebe said:
and there has been alot of good advice given here. realize that while everybody on here may not be professionals (however there are some that are), most probably have a heck of alot more experience than you.
That's an understatement. But some people will politely accept good advice, while others are just compelled to buy Behringer amps.....

astoebe said:
and i still maintain that a small tube amp is so much better of a buy than a 300$ 100watt solid state......
It will take him several years to figure this out. Great advice falling on Behringer ears. 20 years from now he'll be asking us if we've ever heard of "Traynor".....

Codmate said:
Most sound engineers *prefer* a quieter sound on stage. It makes it much easier for them to do a good monitor mix, and if the venue is small, a better mix for the audience too. If the PA and monitors are fighting a back-line with 100W guitar amps it's really tough for the guy at the desk.

The gigs with the worst sound I have heard seem to corrolate to the gigs with the loudest back-line...
Like I said, this guy either has a bad sound man, or he is himself causing the sound man's problems. But his instant gratification solution is to tell the sound man to feuck off. What a brilliant solution. That could be exactly what his sound man wants to hear. Maybe he cant wait to get away from this guy's band?? Too loud on stage is the best way to absolutely ruin your house mix, and I got news for you.......Codmate is telling you the truth, and I didn't say Behringer Truth - Aint nuthin the sound man can do to fix it if your stage sound is too loud. If your sound man cant get great house mixes from a bunch of smaller amps on stage, then you need a new sound man, not a louder amp.

The ones who have huge ego's and show it usually have no business having a huge ego. And the ones who deserve to have big egos usually dont have big egos and dont show it anyway......there are a lot of people on this forum who struggle only with trying to get guys like you, statistic, to listen to good advice.

I have to admit, you almost had even me lured into your "I need amp advice" game.......until you absolutely blew your whole act to pieces with "I am so impressed by this Behringer amp"......

Codmate said:
Also bear in mind that tube watts sound significantly louder than tranny watts.

I don't know about that. Solid state amps can be loud and efficient. It's just that they sound like the noise they make on Wheel of Fortune when you take too much time.

Personaly...ide wait until you get some more expereance, I fell in to the trap of buying the bigest loudest thing possible years ago, and people used 2 laf at me trying to lift the thing, You need go grow up a little, get realistic, when are you going to use 100watts, so you play stadiums? I used a huge 1000watt PA as an amp 2years ago, and since then ive brought a Tech 21 Tm10, and no 1 person has laughed at me! No 1, infact all ive had are complements about how great it sounds, buy some pro players that have thousants of pounds worth of gear! And who are you to say a classic 30 sounds like crap? Have you eaver played one? Sorry have you eaver played, or just been to busy looking at gear? Who cares! Just got of the Pc and go play guitar, Get good, save your money, and buy a real amp when your a REAL player.

I agree with everyone. For $300 you can buy an assortment of cheap shitty amps.

STAT1STICK said:
Well, I finally bought an amp. I decided to go with the Behringer GMX212.

And there goes the last hair of credibilty.

You mock a 15w Tube Combo, but praise a solid state hunk of shit. (and we all know about Behringer quallity control problems)

I've played shows with 5 Watt tube with a 12" speaker and i could drown out the drums if I wanted to.

This is what i think.

#1 You didn't actually buy that amp. You just put it on your musician's friend wishlist.
#2 You haven't played for 9 years.
#3 You have never played in an actual band.
#4 You are 15 years old

after all that you go and buy a shitty behringer? way to go.
if you havent actually bought it, i reccomend the cube 60. its pretty loud for what it is, and witht he right eq you can get incredible tone!

Back