Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bass rig ideas

Thanks

Best bass rig ideas

Sign in to disable this ad
    What ideas have you got for a nice bass rig? Anything in your collections that records well, with what microphone? Anything special that you do when recording, like adding in 50 hz on the kick drum post, type thing?

There are a couple setups I intend to try. My old ADA MB-1 is tight with the ADA HX 2x10 and 1x15. Plenty of mic options for those cabinets. Could be confusing.

My VBA400 might be an easier capture with a simple VBC412 4x12 cab. Mic up with a dynamic, card or supercard.

What are you using?

Thanks
    It's funny, I have never been asked to record anything other than direct on any professional studio project. On my own projects, I've also kept things direct for tracking, and if it needed a little spice, I just did so with plugins after the fact.

Live is a completely different matter--I have a variety of pedals I use to color individual songs over the course of an evening, but I've found my recordings like the fidelity of a DI more.
    I'm only competing with the person I was yesterday.

Thanks
    When I tried the direct approach, I used the line 6 Bass DI. It had a bunch of models none of which sounded spectacular in preset form.

This is what I am afraid of, the AMPEG SVT VST might be better than an attempt at the real thing.

The bottom end is ambient and boomy on anything naturally recorded. The low end even order harmonics are unstable at best. I end up drawing a ridiculous picture in the EQ window with some wild scoop.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skwee View Post
    It's funny, I have never been asked to record anything other than direct on any professional studio project.

Same here...I record bass DI like 99% of the time...and I don't mean into some bass amp modeler...just DI.
    I found that FET-based DI inputs seem to always sound best with bass guitar...or it just might b e the case with mine. These days my go-to bass DI is the one on my Langevin DVC unit. After that, I can shape the base easily during the mix stage...and for that I've been partial to the Waves Renaissance Bass plugin.

Recently I bought a vintage Ampeg Portaflex SB12 amp, so I'm going to have to try miking that at some point...plus I picked up some new bass plugins, which might work out better than the Waves.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Same here...I record bass DI like 99% of the time...and I don't mean into some bass amp modeler...just DI.
    Same here. Always DI. Never record through an amp. Ok, take that back, I recorded some gigs and ran a DI out of the amp into the mixer. But for home recording, never use an amp. I used to do the same as Miro where I didn't use an amp sim. I went DI, added some hard compression and a little EQ and called it good. Now, I use bass amp sims on UAD interface. I purchased several and really like them. A lot of variety.

Thanks
    I would suggest, if you can, to give a couple of DI pedals a try. One would be the venerable SansAmp Bass DI, the other being the SansAmp SVT DI. That's all I got.
    "One thing led to another and, before we knew it, we were dead." --Michael O'Donoghue

Thanks
    Would the recording compensated output of the Bass Preamp be a similar thing?

My ADA MB-1 has a compensated out. The GK MBE has a recording out. The Marshall VBA head has DI out.

Thanks
    Direct Inputs (DI) In or Out are usually line level signals. Most, if not all, audio interfaces can accept them. Or you can plug you bass directly into the interface with the Instrument jack.

Which interface are you recording with?

Thanks
    The Apollo USB. In reaper.

Here is a measure looped. I left the guitar in too loud, but it is something rendered as an example I can share. Trying for a strong bottom end. It doesn't go that deep if you ask me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LazerBeakShiek View Post
    The Apollo USB.
    Oh cool. Try the demo versions of the different bass amp sims.

Quote Originally Posted by LazerBeakShiek View Post
    In reaper.

Here is a measure looped. I left the guitar in too loud, but it is something rendered as an example I can share. Trying for a strong bottom end. It doesn't go that deep if you ask me.
    Yeah, I agree. I thought the guitar was just a tad too loud, but drums and bass were well balanced. Any tweaks would be a matter of personal preference. Maybe bring the bass up a little more; that would be my preference.

Thread Information