Votes: 10 9.2%
  • D'Addario

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other

Votes: 58 53.2%

• Total voters

Titanship

Yo,
I've never had a "listening test" to confirm my choice for top acoustic string. I like D'Adarrio, Guild, Dean Markley- they must be phosphor bronz.
What are your choices?
Thanks, titan

I used to always use Martin Marquis', but, I recently tried Elixers...pretty cool...they are pre-coated and eliminate some finger drag noise...
They are twice the price but, are supposed to last 3 times as long....we shall see.

You are joking, right?!!:D

You seem to have forgotten the two most popular sets, Elixirs and Martin (SP? the extended life ones.)

Oh, and by the way, Elixirs live up to the hype in every way. Last longer, sound richer, eliminates string noise almost entirely. Well worth the extra money. GC is selling them for $10 a set right now.

Pete

elixir light tops-med botoms on a seagull s6+ spruce...med. on 1980 fg335....i like them...

but i've been hearing that the DR's are nice...as well as the thomas infield's......how do they compare with elirs? anyone? treeline? lol
:D

I like Elixer or John Pearse for fingerstyle. I hear bluegrass players like John Pearse, also.

Count me in the Elixir crowd. They're not quite as bright as some, but the coating really helps them stay CONSISTENT in tone longer, IMHO.

Elixir forever

I've used everything and now its only Elixir. First time I tried them on a Guild 12 string I was hooked. And they lasted 3 times longer without losing tone. Great strings. GC has 2or1 sale in March of 2002. Get a pair and try them out.

elixir

definitely elixir. been playin a long time, but i just got a set of those and they really sound brighter for alot longer. feel gr8 too.

I had very good luck with Dean Markley Blue Steel - but what do I know? I'm the one who loved the tone and feel of a guitar you guys never heard of (Cortley)

I always liked those Guild phospher bronze but I can never find em unless I mail order them. The Pearce strings are the most bright sounding ones out there right now. I play fingerstyle mostly and without fingerpicks (but I do use a thumb-pick like most people) and also tune down a whole step, so a bright string is helpful. Seems like people are starting to find out about those Pearce strings though because I'm starting to see some really high prices on them. I don't know how they manage to make a string so bright without using phospher.

I hear a lot of people talk about how long this string will last or that one but I wonder how they manage to keep them intonated? Even if they keep a crisp tone what's the point if the guitar won't stay in tune? You get little ruts in the string in the area where it touches the fret and those indentations will make the string go out of tune the deeper they wear because they're bound to wear more above some frets (like the first 3) than others. So when you get the guitar to sound like it's in tune up by the neck, it'll sound out of tune somewhere else where the string ruts aren't as deep. Building a guitar that will keep some kind of reasonable intonation is tough enough without adding string wear to the equation. To each his own though.

I can't stand Martin strings. I've used GHS phospher bronze and also their Contact Cores on my Martins and they've served me the best over the years. They have stayed brighter longer than any other string I've used not to mention they're hard to break. Now I recently purchased a Taylor which came with the Elixers. They sounded pretty good but one thing I didn't like was the coating started coming off. It looked like little rags on the strings. This was my only experience with the Elixers so I don't know if this is common or not. I will say that I put a new set of the GHS on the Taylor and I thought it changed the charector of the guitar in a negative way. The search is on for strings for the Taylor

Elixer Light Guage. I used to use Pearse 80/20's, but I had to change them out after every gig. Now I can get 3-4 gigs out of a set of strings without losing tone or goiung out of tune on every song.

Elixirs are the way to go.
I beat the hell out of my accoustic... Its all I play.
Im also too cheap to buy new strings every week.
The elixirs are worth the extra $10.

Back