Best acoustic guitar strings

This has been covered extensively in the past. You will find the thread via the search feature.

My favorites are the EXP17 (medium). I also like the Dean Markley Alchemy GoldPhos, though not quite as well. It will vary according to the guitar. Some guitars like a certain string better than others. Lots of people will recommend Elixirs, and they are o.k., but not my personal favorite.

scrubs said:
This has been covered extensively in the past. You will find the thread via the search feature.

My favorites are the EXP17 (medium). I also like the Dean Markley Alchemy GoldPhos, though not quite as well. It will vary according to the guitar. Some guitars like a certain string better than others. Lots of people will recommend Elixirs, and they are o.k., but not my personal favorite.
I like any phosphor bronze string myself...

Phosphor Bronze....???....!!

Really Rokket?

Do you not like the bright ZZingg you get from the Bronze ones?

Phoshor Bronze ones will last longer, but they do not sound as bright as the Bronze ones.

And true this topic has been covered a lot, but then which one has not eh?

I tend to choose string gauge and type by the sort of guitar:

A fairly bassy guitar will get bright strings and a more bright sounding guitar will get less bright strings.................All to simple eh :D

Elixers do sound "super-bright" but it may just be me :)

Really you should try any type of gauge and brand and see what you like most for yourself.

Eddie :)

I like Elixirs because they last a long time. They sound a little dull compared to new D'Addario Phosphor Bronzes, but better than old ones.

Depends on guitar

Just to add to what was stated above-
Finding the right set for a particular guitar sometimes takes a few tries. Some are brighter, some last longer, some sound great new, while others sound better a few days or even a month after playing them.

Ultimately, I really think it should be a personal choice.

Whenever I change strings, I place the cover of the empty package in the case, so I'll know what I used last. That way when it comes time to change strings again, I'll know what I used last, and can decide whether to stick with it or keep looking.

I'll admit I haven't done an extensive sampling, but I settled on Martin XP phosphor bronze - medium gauge for my Yairi and Taylor, light gauge for my D28. They're long-lasting, don't break, and sound good.

Back