Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best acoustic guitar pickup?

Thanks

Best acoustic guitar pickup?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi all

I'm looking to invest in a pickup for my acoustic guitar so that I can connect it to amps/recording applications etc.

Does anyone use these/have any good recommendations? I want one that I can simply put under the strings on my acoustic and plug straight in. I've been looking at Fishman and Seymour Duncan models in various forms. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    M

Thanks
    I can't offer hands on experience with this, but it looks good and the demos sound great (don't they all).

This was recently mentioned in another thread here : IK Multimedia - iRig Acoustic Stage

(www) ikmultimedia.com/products/irigacousticstage/
    Last edited by spantini; 10-17-2018 at 12:41.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    This link immediately closed itself on my iphone (not after getting me to accept the cookies) and sent me to a warning page about hackers trying to steal information on the desktop PC... what was the date of the thread and was it on this folder? I'll try to find it scrolling through the site...

Thanks
    I use a Dean Markley and have always been happy with it.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Pickups that sound good live and work for recording are not common, and a soundhole pickup iike that is rarer. So much that I don't ever record acoustic guitar with a pickup except at live venues. The Baggs M1A is the only one I've heard that comes sorta close. Haven't heard the Seymour Duncan SA-6, if that's what you're looking at. The ones without any mic at all (Fishman and Duncan) "work" but they don't sound acoustic at all to my ear. They're pretty good at playing live at volume though, and the humbucker designs are pretty quiet.

The best ones I've heard are not under-string, but combinations of an internal mic and usually UST or some other piezo-ish contraption. Some are very good when coupled with the correct preamp, but require correct installation. And, the mic part of the design means they can feedback sooner than pure magnetic type pickups, so a preamp with some kind of notch filter is good to have for live use.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

6. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Acoustic pickups are for live sound use, not recording. None are going to sound as good as miking the guitar.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mjbphotos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Acoustic pickups are for live sound use, not recording. None are going to sound as good as miking the guitar.
    This is exactly right. However I have used my DM on an acoustic twelve string that was buried somewhat in the mix as it didn't need to sound like and acoustic guitar! Plus I like to plug acoustics into distorting amps for well , for the hell of it really cuz it's another sound. If you are trying to get a solo acoustic guitar sound recording that is listenable, a mic is the right way to go. Even the high end pickups through an expensive "acoustic guitar amplifier" are not going to sound better on a recording than a good mic on a good guitar in a good room. Or even a not so good one come to think of it.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    I use a Dean Markley and have always been happy with it.
    Years ago, on Jon Anderson's acoustic, I installed a Dean Markley "woody". That night he used it at the show and I was very impressed at how 'acoustic' it sounded.

Now, granted i have no knowledge of what the signal chain was and what the soundman did, but it sounded legit.
    (btw, he's in the band Yes)

If for live use, I can recommend them. No mods to your guitar, and I know they can work very well. I'd pair it up with a dedicated acoustic amp where you have very good frequency control.

For recording, I wouldnt bother with ANY acoustic pickup. (Unless its just for a scratch track, or you want a 'fake' acoustic sound on purpose)

But the formula for a good recorded acoustic sound has always been;

A good acoustic, a good player, a good room, a good mic and a good engineer.
    Take one of those away and you'll get something mediocre.

Thanks
    I've got a DM Woody, too, and its ok for live work - when the guitar doesn't have a good pickup system of its own.
    Recently I tried it on my cheap Ibanez 12 string, plugged into a Line6 amp with some chorus and grit dialed into it, trying to get an electric 12 string sound. Miked it. Also DIed the guitar's pickup and ended up using that track (with PodFarm FX) instead.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks

Thread Information