best acoustic guitar pickup?

skat

i got an epiphone acoustic guitar i'd like to use on stage, i need a good pickup wich gives it the sound of a 'takamine' but i have no idea which one to buy. i was looking fore someone who made this work on his guitar with good results

My Favorite pickup system is an LR Baggs Ribbon Transducer with an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI. It is kind of expensive, probably over $200 installed. A cheaper route is the LR Baggs LB6. I think that's what it is called. It is higher output so you don't need the preamp. Probably around $100 installed.

Just avoid the Seymour Duncan Woody (Dean markley pro-mag is nothing special either). I have the SD humbucker model for my epi, and while its an inexpensive solution, you're not going to hear a takamine sound through it. If somebody knows how to make one of these sound like an acoustic guitar, I'd love the input.
I know a lady who has a fishman thinline on her guild. Its the only acoustic I've ever heard sound like an acoustic when amped. Usually I just hear that over-chorused crack sound that I hate, you know?-lzb

Stay away from the soundhole type pickup if you can. I agree with you that they sound well, crappy. I have a Seagull S6 Mahogany/Cedar with the LR Baggs ribbon transducer. Sounds great. It was already installed when I bought the guitar so I don't know what the unit price is, although I definitely recommend the brand. They also make what they call the "Duet", which is a dual source transducer, and microphone. I have heard one played in a Martin HD-28VS. Very authentic sounding. If you do go with a soundhole style pickup I would recommend polishing the sound with a Sansamp Acoustic DI. But then your up to the price of a top of the line transducer at that point. Good luck finding the tone.

"The best" is elusive. What model / size guitar do you have? Do you intend to use or depend on mics at all, or are you looking to avoid stage mics? Do you have high stage volume to contend with, or do you do solo stuff? Concert or Tuesday night bar scene?

Each of these will affect what works for a system, and part of the system will be the guitar. Are you really prepared to engineer this?

In general, multiple stage mics will produce the best overall sound. They are holy terrors to contend with, though, particularly if you tend to move. Don't have a stool? Then keep looking.

Next on the list is likely to be one of many undersaddle transducers. Biggest benefit is their tendency to allow gain before feedback. Their downside is a characteristic "piezo quack" or unnatural sound.

Best overall may be a combination of an undersaddle pickup (piezo or electret) and an internal condenser mic. Both systems will require a preamp of some kind. Look at Baggs, Fishman and the like for a representative sample.

Everyone seems to think you can do this on the kitchen table yourself, like painting the back of the house. Not quite as easy, and simple to mess it up. This is rather difficult to do WELL, and that will affect the sound.

You can spend $200 - 500 in a New York Minute with aftermarket installation, which is why it may be more cost effective to consider trading the instrument in for one with onboard electronics.

For what it's worth, both Larrivee and Taylor use under-the-saddle Fishman piezo pickups in their "E" models.

many thanx for each reply and to you.
i have to play an acoustic guitar in a 8 elements ska band, where probably the feed backs can give us troubles, but i need an excellent sound for the drum-bass-guitar solo parts and the studio session when probably the sound of the guitar will come out...

i was going around trying any kind of pickups you adviced me to find the best for my needs... well, a very kind guitarmaker showed me the magnetic fishman humbucking (rare hearth) to put on the soundhole. it's a bit expansive but it sounds really great! and has the convenient features to be removed easily when you buy a better guitar, and the impossibility of making any kind of noise and feedbacks... i think i found my way!

.. and before i could even give my word.

Yeah Rare Earth is the way (make sure its the humbucker not the single coil one). Other than this, soundhole mounted pickups are not worth considering.

I've never used a rare earth, but it is a *very* interesting design. Fishman also offers a "blend" which incorporates a condenser mic and a blender control; one mono signal out. Yeah, it's expensive. So is good scotch. And THAT's worth it, right?

Back