Bass V-AMP Pro S/PDIF levels

dirtythermos

I am connecting the Bass V-AMP Pro to my Delta 66 via S/PDIF and the levels are very low. For most of the presets, I have to crank the preamp volume (2nd knob from the left) all the way up to get the peaks around -6 db on the Delta. The rms is still between -18 and -12.

I think the signal going into the V-AMP is fine - the signal light on the processor lights when I play, and stays lit long into the sustain.

Anyone know if this is a limitation in the V-AMP, or is there something about S/PDIF that I'm doing wrong? I haven't ever used a S/PDIF connection before.

Thanks,
dave

I don't have a direct answer for you but I'm using a V-amp S/PDIF into a 1010 and I have noticed my level seems a little low but I've not measured it. But it's not and has been workable.

You have set your control panel to use S/PDIF and not the internal clock? Did you use a real S/PDIF cable?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've got a real S/PDIF cable and the Delta clock is set correctly, as you described. I've got a workable signal once I turn the preamp master all the way to 10, but am used to tracking with the signals 6-10 db hotter than that.

Are you having to turn up the volume on a lot of presets as well?

dirtythermos said:
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've got a real S/PDIF cable and the Delta clock is set correctly, as you described. I've got a workable signal once I turn the preamp master all the way to 10, but am used to tracking with the signals 6-10 db hotter than that.

Are you having to turn up the volume on a lot of presets as well?

Yeah, I've had to do that. But I've also had to do that when not using S/PDIF and going into my console. I'll pay attention to the levels next time I fire things up. I'll probably be using S/PDIF for the most part as you avoid an extra conversion.

Normally I would say that, too, but the V-Amp Pro manuals are badly organized. The info is probably there, but it's a bitch to find.
(I'd answer the question except I've never used the S/PDIF out.)

Badly organized, and full of junk like this:
Naturally, your BASS V-AMP/BASS V-AMP PRO is in its best shape when its bass parts are immortalized on an analog or digital recording medium.
Nonetheless, I have read the whole thing.. cover to cover.. twice. There is no way to adjust the S/PDIF output level, other than the volume knob on the preamp part of the unit.

There is a way to adjust input gain, system wide, so I'll try playing with that. Here's the instructions for doing that, from the manual:
To adjust the output level of your instrument, use a specific level control located at the beginning of the signal path. This way, it is possible to adjust the input sensitivity by +12/-6 dB (middle value = 0 dB): Please select the CONFIGURATION mode and adjust the desired sensitivity level by keeping the TAP key pressed and turning the GAIN control.
Maybe I can get a few more dB out of it this way.

Last night I increased the input sensitivity, as described in the previous post, and it solved the problem. I turned it up until it started clipping when I slapped the E string, and then backed it off. It ended up only being 1 "dot" or two higher than the default, but that was enough. Now I can use most presets without having to adjust the volume knob, and I haven't found any where I needed to turn it all the way to "10."

Hope this information is useful to someone else down the line.

dave

Back