Bass...tracking approach

I looked in the manual and my INST input has 1 Meg Impedance.
It has no knobs for gain and has a -20db pad. (I dont see any spec on how much gain there is if any.)

The L6 UX8 Manual states this unit is designed to run "directly with GearBox/PodFarm" running.

Apparently they didnt think about users, like myself, too lazy to click a mouse a couple times..:D

I actually learned something new through this discussion!
the DAW wave form, with the software running as is designed for this unit, is much more normal to my outboard gear. Without the software setup it was -23 signal :wtf:, with the software ON and no fx/ no plugins I could easily get over -12 to -6. a nice fat large wave form...:guitar:

subjective preferences...
still recording Line In with some outboard is fun, and maybe more placebo than I think, as the direct to interface INST + software realtime plugins ... can get just as good a track.. (with a ocean of more options).

so I guess I can confirm, some of the lesser-desired sounds was due to the ...errrrr.....User

Attachments

• BASS DI gearbox.png
    BASS DI gearbox.png
    551.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Looking through a manual (Pod Farm 2 Advanced User Guide?), there is an audio Mixer which offers control for input gain to DAW.
See Section 6 Pages 8-11. Not sure if this covers your setup.

Does your version have those 50 Bass Amp sims?

mix.jpg

The instrument input of the US1800 is a 700KOhm, which is quite a bit less than the 1M input of most pedals. When one considers that many amplifier inputs are around 500K, though, well which one is "right"?

Right ... that's the same thing I was thinking. I had read online that your DI instrument input should be at least 1M of impedance to be "usable." I had recorded many things plugging straight in to my US-1800 INST input before and thought it always sounded fine. When I looked at the specs and saw that it was 700K, I decided to try the test to see if I noticed a difference. And there certainly is one.

Like you said, though, which one is "better?" They're different for sure, but who's to say that sometimes the darker sound wouldn't be what you wanted?

Right ... that's the same thing I was thinking. I had read online that your DI instrument input should be at least 1M of impedance to be "usable." I had recorded many things plugging straight in to my US-1800 INST input before and thought it always sounded fine. When I looked at the specs and saw that it was 700K, I decided to try the test to see if I noticed a difference. And there certainly is one.

Like you said, though, which one is "better?" They're different for sure, but who's to say that sometimes the darker sound wouldn't be what you wanted?

It just depends on how you like to track, in re: tracking the sound you are after on the way in or getting your tone ITB after recording. The former is great if you already know what you're after tone-wise and the latter if you find it easier to fit the bass tone into the track afterword. I use both methods as they are both valid, it's just song dependent and sometimes location dependent.

Most simplest Bass - If I plug my US P-Bass into the Interface Instrument jack, there is hardly any signal = no wave.
I can hear it if I turn my headphone way up. Can add volume later I suppose. There seems a odd digital compression/limiter too on my unit....

You can increase the waveform size in a couple ways..

1) Increase Waveform AND Volume Simultaneously

Adjust the Volume knob in the upper left corner of the track item

2) Increase Waveform Without Increasing Volume

Go to the actions menu, click on actions list and then search for Peaks:scale peaks by square root (half of range is 12dB rather than 6dB). Double-click.

3) Hold SHIFT and tap the UP ARROW

This can ramp it way up so it looks like clipping, holding the DOWN ARROW returns it to normal - doesn't go negative

yeah spantini..
I just need to use the Interface DI with the Gearbox/Podfarm as designed, no problem.
It does have the +18 too. A bunch of digital gain in all the plugins and sims. (User error on my behalf)
"when in doubt read the manual!" :D

Hardware approach....
1) Radial JDI > > Mic Pre INterface or Radial JDI > outboard preamp> Interface Line In is another approach.

2)the recent unit Alcrtron73mp (great river clone) is pretty good but seems gritty, sharper,...not smooth and round...but oddly if I put on the PHASE it sounds smoother and rounder? :wtf:

theres an ocean of great gear outboard, hardware.

yeah..I could sell all the hardware for $1000 and just use ITB- realtime Amp sims etc...but I tried that before and prefer having at least 1qty channel of Hardware for the non-mouse needed approach, its not about cost but more vibe preference.

I cant use an amp because it would fill my space I sit in.. :eek:

Attachments

• 73MP pics.png
    73MP pics.png
    370.2 KB · Views: 7
Back