Bass through board question

Mr. C

I usually don't play bass, but picked one up anyways. What I'm wondering is if I plug directly into the board (which I'm going to do; don't have $$$ for an amp) should I use a direct box or some other type of pedal for any practical reason? If so my budget would only allow around $50 to spend at this time as I'm still spending money on guitar stuff (my priority). Thanks!

You'll get better results with a DI. Lots of interfaces have them bulit in, what are you using?

Well, I'm actually using my Tascam 424mkii as my mixer and that into a Mackie power amp. This is currently a basement operation :).

If the bass is active, you can plug it right in. If it is passive, it will sound bad.

If it's passive, you need an active direct box.

You can sometimes get away with an effects pedal in 'bypass'.

Spend an extra couple of bucks and get the Hartke VXL Bass Attack pedal. It's like a little amp in a pedal. Tone shaping, E.Q. there's not much more you would need if going D.I. Great bass pedal for your application. Especially if your bass is passive.

There is also something like the Digitech BP50 which runs about $80USD. I'm thinking of getting it myself. you'd be able to plug it DI into your board.

HTH,

I got a great sound a while back by running the bass through my old classic 20 and line out into the board. Really punchy and full.

I used a tube pre another time and it sounded mostly like shit.

Direct with nothing? worse than shit.

Back