Bass player doesnt understand drop D

Myx62

I recently joined a new band and the bass player doesnt understand drop D. He started tuning all his strings down a step instead of just dropping the E down to D. He has never played any drop D stuff and thats hard for me to believe..... The dude mostly plays old metal. I was a shred metal guitarist back in the 80's so I dont have a prob with the music, its just that Ive been there and done that and a few metal songs is OK as I have recorded some recently.
The dude also has some rough recordings of metal jamming like Metallicas Orion. He calls it a song? Im 40 and dont have a lot of time to waste anymore, so I hope Im not viewed as a dick, but I think the dude has to go. I have a few albums worth of material all complete , recorded and with lyrics, yet the dude seems uninterested. The rest of the band likes the songs.
Man, I didnt get back into gigin to deal with this shit again...Should I fire the dude, or just walk away and continue recording my own shit in my own studio?
Some input would be greatly appreciated.
Myx

Go with your instincts. There's a simple rule with people - if it doesn't feel right, it ain't right and probably never will be. And of course there may well be things about you that he doesn't like.

Gonna have to be your decision.....something like firing someone isn't something that people who have never met him (or you) can give any useful input on.
BUT......if it's your band and you're feeling this way about him.....I can't see why you should keep him. I mean, your band, your decision as to who's in there.

did you JOIN the band or FORM the band. if you joined the band and he was already in the band, then you are the dick. don't go forcing your wide view of the earth on people who are happy going through life with blinders on.

i was that dick too.

i was in this band for two years. i introduced songs and certain members of the band just wouldn't cooperate. i made an agreement with the band that if i got them gigs in the heart of the city they would play my material. i got the gigs, we played the songs, people started coming to the shows... but the band still wasn't happy.

i left, and it was a good decision.

I appreciate the input. everyone had valid points. I did join the band, but as it has always been for me I write the songs and have always had the attitude of any member can write the songs as long as all the band members agree they like it. Thats means all. I have accepted songs I like from other members in the past.
I suppose I am the Dick. Ive been to nice in the past and got screwed every time. Im probably just going to go with my instincts and bail from the band. If the drummer and the singer want the dude gone also, then we may work something out.
Myx

what i don't understand is why drop D is such a big deal.

if he detunes his entire bass rather than just the E, or gets a 5-string bass and plays the 3rd fret of the low-B does it make a difference?

can he pick? and is he an asset to the band? I`ve seen folks that couldn't divide 4 by 2 that could smoke a guitar or bass. It`s all in what they are familiar with. Let him try a 5 string, that takes the math part out although it takes a little practice to get comfortable.

i dont see what the big deal is.....do you just not like the guy?

some bass players a thick...very thick....

explain it to him, in a nice way, but if he doesnt get it, get a new bass player. i hate to say it, but any retard can play drop d, and any retard can play a bass in drop d, infact, to me, drop d sounds the same. ive actually de-tuned my bass when my band was playing, and no one could tell. so hey, if it means that much to you go for it. just make sure you got another lined up before you cut him from the band. you dont wanna be left out to dry with no bottom end to fall back on

freak

Bass Freak said:
i dont see what the big deal is.....do you just not like the guy?

some bass players a thick...very thick....

explain it to him, in a nice way, but if he doesnt get it, get a new bass player. i hate to say it, but any retard can play drop d, and any retard can play a bass in drop d, infact, to me, drop d sounds the same. ive actually de-tuned my bass when my band was playing, and no one could tell. so hey, if it means that much to you go for it. just make sure you got another lined up before you cut him from the band. you dont wanna be left out to dry with no bottom end to fall back on

freak
Its not the playing in Drop D thats the point. It makes it easier for me to play gtr and sing at the same time in DD and its easier all the way around. I have songs in standard E. Some are E flat. I need experience is the point and if the dude doesnt even know what DD means and looks at me funny, maybe Im on a different planet. I cant babysit anymore.... The sadest thing is I kinda like the dude.......Hes actually a gtr player and should stick with that I suppose.
I think the real point to what Im saying is why is the guy trying to write songs, yet just has some wanking shit on a cassette with no structure or lyrics and timing issues...... The big deal is experience.
Myx

crosstudio said:
or gets a 5-string bass and plays the 3rd fret of the low-B does it make a difference?

yes it does..

I had a stubborn bass player who tried that and it made what would have been a simple riff in drop tuning much more difficult to play.. Eventually he had no choice but to drop it down or tune the whole thing down..

(he was booted a few months later)

Well Im going to give the guy a chance the next practice and bring my bass in Drop D and he can bring his gtr in E standard.

The guy had a hard time playing in Drop D also. Confused? I dont know , but a 5 string bass is out of the question Im sure. Man I tried one of those once and they really mess with ya-lol. Im thinking of getting a 7 string with a low B. Ive tried em but wonder if they are worth the hassle of getting used to. I wouldnt bring it to rehearsel with a band though. My drummer wants to do some dream theatre kinda stuff:) Doesnt their bass player have a 6 string bass? I want to do some Kings X stuff. Hes got an 8 string bass-lol. Hey we all get to pick one cover to do-lol
Im really a nice guy. If all else fails, I have my home recording studio to hide in.

If he doesn't understand dropped-D...

...then how does he understand to put his own clothes on?...or feed himself?...or not to pee his pants?

Hooga!Gronk!

It sounds like he's purposefully being a pain in the ass. People who do not work well with others should not be in a band.

The only additional comment I'd like to add is that a 5-string is no problem at all....at all..... AT ALL!!! :D
Granted.....for a few times it can get confusing but any musician with a little ability should quickly get used to it. I just got my first one and I don't see how anyone could be a bass player and not use one.
I usually suggest that people learning to use a 5-string, initially pretend the B string isn't there and just use it for a thumb rest for a time ot two. That helps to get comfortable with it and to see the fretboard correctly...

Myx62 said:
I want to do some Kings X stuff. Hes got an 8 string bass-lol. Hey we all get to pick one cover to do-

he also uses a 12 string bass.. (Hamer)

What King's X song are you doing? We used to play 'the world around me.'

I doubt a bass player could play that song if he wasn't in a dropped tuning.. It becomes real clear why you cant get away without drop tuning on a song like that.. Even with a 5 string..

We also did 'complain.'

Cygnus X-1 said:
he also uses a 12 string bass.. (Hamer)

What King's X song are you doing? We used to play 'the world around me.'

I doubt a bass player could play that song if he wasn't in a dropped tuning.. It becomes real clear why you cant get away without drop tuning on a song like that.. Even with a 5 string..

We also did 'complain.'

I would like to do Dogman. Ive played Black flag and Pleiades in other bands. Ive always been a KX freak.... It was listening to them that I learned the drop D tuning. Then Soundgarden started doing it..... Now many do it or drop even lower.

I agree Sam that it is very difficult to play that stuff without the drop tuning. I've tried it. I once tried to drop the B to D on a bass players 5 string and that didnt work so well.
I also have a floyd rose on my Ibanez RG and its a nightmare to go between tunings with a floating bridge. My yamaha pacifica needs some fret work and thats my standard tuned gtr.
Im starting to wonder if playing in a band again is worth it.....

Last edited:
My 2 cents as a bassist:

if he doesn't get the drop d thing, he'll NEVER be able to handle a 5 string and I wouldn't waste much time trying to teach him drop D either since learing a new tuning takes a lot of skill and dedication, two things this guy doesn't seem to have.

As far as his contributions as a writer, sometimes it is best for a group to write songs live together rather than bringing in their crappy 4 track recording with the intentions of forcing everyone else to make them into a song. Sometimes it just ain't gonna happen.

If you guys do not write good songs together, then maybe it is time to move on and take a few with you.

WHatever you do, do not give up on playing in a band together, if you find the right people it could be a great experience.

Life is very short, so don't waste any more time jamming with people who suck. You will just end up frustrated.

Better off to be one your own then to spend your time trying to get other people up to your level.

Anyhow hope that helps.

clif

PS. Is it me or do many players I see in bars with 5 string basses SELDOM use the low b string? WHen I play mine I am on it every chance I can get.

Oh and Cool drummer if he like Dream Theater, they are one of my favs too.

I for the most part agree with you Clif. I will prob take the drummer with me and at the very least have him record some studio drumming for me.
Myx

1) was the band happy before you got there? are they happy now?

2) did the guy you replace write the songs too or was the bass player the primary writer before you got there? ego issues!

3) if you take the drummer, the guitar player will hate you forever and you will forever be known as a 'poison'... not the big hair band of the 80's.

ps. i personally fear guitar players who play bass (although i became one) because they secretly envy you.

Back