Bass Guitar/ Semi-Acoustic Guitar - On-Stage Sound

zimbo

This is gonna be my 'preposed' on-stage cable chain:

Fender Precision Bass - TC Polytune2 Pedal Tuner (True Bypass) - Boss LMB-3 Bass Limiter-Enhancer Pedal - Orchid Classic Active DI Box - Mixer/Amp.

Ovation Applause Semi-Acoustic Guitar - TC Polytune2 Pedal Tuner (True Bypass) - Boss Chorus Pedal - Orchid Micro Active DI Box - Mixer.

Can anybody see any problems with this set-up with regard to sound quality, impendence mismatch, buffering etc?

Some people like to stick their tuner as the last thing before the amp so it will also kill any noise that is introduced from anything switched on in the chain. I don't actually give fuck - my tuner is first in my chain. I don't tend to leave loads of pedals on anyway. Personally, I think having your tuner before your chorus is probably a good idea so you don't end up having modulated signal going into the tuner - not that its likely to make a huge difference and you could just turn the chorus off to tune anyway. Your chain is really short so don't worry about it.

Will the sound guy be giving you a monitor coming out of the mixer so you can hear what's going on? I was standing next to my amp and didn't have a separate monitor the other night and I didn't have a clue what the rest of the band were doing. I couldn't even here the drummer when she wasn't giving it plenty.

People tend to say you should have your overdrive/compression effects first, followed by modulation effects, then delay effects. Can't remember what the science is behind this but it made sense when I read it.

My current chain is
Guitar>Cry Baby>DS-1>Korg Tuner>OCD(drive)>BOSS CE-1>Fab Flange>Trelicopter(Tremelo)>Echolizer(Delay)>Yellow Comp(Compressor)

The weird position of the DS-1 is 'cos its just been reintroduced to the chain and I haven't placed it yet; I no longer use the Fab Flange which is glued down! I'll chissel the flanger off the board, shuffle up the CE1 one spot and stick the DS1 after the OCD. I really want a TubeScreamer clone to go in front of the OCD.

I think what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter where you put things with the short length of your chain and true bypass tuner.

Yeah, we'll be having a monitor mix. I know what you mean though - I've performed in the past without on-stage monitors (and depending on the venue) it's like playing blind-fold!

Back