bass guitar rewiring

Jim Marquard

Yes, this could be a problem with the jack but it also could be your guitar cable. If you own a cheap cable (under $6 for twenty feet) get rid of it. I used to buy these type left and right or make my own. Well, some instrument cable is $20 for 10 feet for a reason! Check your cable, if that isn't the problem, check the jack visually by removing it from the bass and wiggling the wires to see if any are loose or frayed. If so, a low wattage solder iron and quality solder will do the trick. Stay away from quick heat solder guns because they can get too hot and burn your wire. A solder gun of 150 watts ought to do the trick. If you are really worried take the bass to a good music store and they will replace your jack and put it in for about the cost of the jack plus alittle extra for labor. If they don't charge you labor, buy some strings from their store and start shopping there, they are probably cool folks!:-)

Peace, Jim

i have a cheap bass (but it sounds good) called a "Saga II". Anyways, it's starting to crackle when you move the cord in the jack. I'm thinking of replacing the jack and redoing some of the wiring in it. Is there a certain type of wire that i should use? I'm half afraid to do it because it's my only bass and i need it for recording. But the way it is now... i have to sit really still while recording so it doesn't crackle... if anyone has any suggestions let me know
thanks

Back