Basic bass amplifier info wanted

pure.fusion

Hi all,

I'm looking at playing bass in a drum/bass/guitar/(Other instrument) format just for fun, using a practice-studio sized room.

I have a little BTB 6 string with passive Bartonini pickups and an active eq. I like him, he does a good job for recording.

Can you guys shoot some basic info on what size and format of amplifier I'd need for this situation. Can you go by power rating in this case, or does this mean nothing for amount and quality of sound?

I'd be looking at a good solid tone that will compete with the other instruments without pushing limits.

( Oh, I also want it to fit in my back pocket and weigh next to nothing :p )

Thanks
FM

Look for a used SWR Basic Black. Not a lot of power, you'll probably blow it up competing with a heavy handed drummer, but it boasts a 15" speaker, and an extremely flexible preamp. They go $300 used all the time, with a nice fuzzy coating your cat will love.

If you can find one, YORKVILLE XD200 is a fabulous amp. Tons 'o power. Tons 'o tone. 2 10's or a 1 15".
I have one and I tell you no lie.

Thanks guys. I'm just trying to make some basic sense of it all.

Ggun, If you gig with 300W, can I assume that this enough for my purposes? Or is live setup (via DI) something different?

Also, will something like a 2x10 be adequate for reproducing notes evenly down to low B? ( I know it has become trendy to add a large diameter speaker for the low frequencys but is this marketing to sell more shit? is it relevant? Would Joe Average hear the difference in this?)

Also, also, has anyone got anything to say about combo's vs separate head/cab? Why would you go either way?

The reason for torturing you all: I'm going to go into a music shop to ask the same questions about buying one and I don't want to look like I know *nothing*, for obvious reasons. You know, I want to be able to call bull$hit if some guy tells me I need 1000W minimum!

Thanks all.
Fm

Ggun, If you gig with 300W, can I assume that this enough for my purposes? Or is live setup (via DI) something different?

Also, will something like a 2x10 be adequate for reproducing notes evenly down to low B? ( I know it has become trendy to add a large diameter speaker for the low frequencys but is this marketing to sell more shit? is it relevant? Would Joe Average hear the difference in this?)

Also, also, has anyone got anything to say about combo's vs separate head/cab? Why would you go either way?
You didn't mention if you were going to be playing loud ass rock music either. But I would still say around 300w would probably be just fine. If you ever do play anywhere large enough the soundman/PA probably will probably help you out.

If you go the combo route I would make sure it is something that will accept an extension cabinet (for future proofing).
I like having a separate head and cabinet. I have a nice old GK 800rb and a really crappy cabinet. If I got back into playing bass in a band I could always get a new cabinet and know I will never need a new amp head ever.

I would say average joe wouldn't be able to tell the difference in sound from 10" to 15 or 18" speakers. The bass player in my band plays a 5 string with 10 inch speakers. It doesn't sound bad because of the speakers. :D

I'm sure there is some science behind it as far as accurate reproduction of notes and such, but I would try out different speaker setups and try to see what you like.

There is a point you can reach with bass rigs where you will never really need anything bigger. Looking at it in a totally functional way. Not a fun ridiculous way. Having separate amp and cabinet(s) makes it way easier to get ridiculous.

300W is a good size, IMO. I use my 300W 2-10 Ashdown (http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...MAG-C210T300-EVO-II-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=485033 - I found a "blemished" one for about $450) combo for everything from back porch "acoustic" jams on up. I have a 1-15 extension cab that gives me a little more fullness in the low end, but for small gigs I leave it at home. It's better to get an amp with too much power than too little; you can always turn it down.

The reason for torturing you all: I'm going to go into a music shop to ask the same questions about buying one and I don't want to look like I know *nothing*, for obvious reasons. You know, I want to be able to call bull$hit if some guy tells me I need 1000W minimum!

Thanks all.
Fm

Also - you might want to take a look at the SWR workingpro series of combo amps. You can accurately reproduce a low B with no problem on a 2x10 combo or a 1x15'. I have seen 1x10 combo amps have trouble with it.

I currently own one of these and love it. Works great for practice spaces and small clubs.
http://www.swrsound.com/products/search.php?partno=4452000010

IMHO the Holy Grail of practice/studio/small gig amps is the Ampeg B15. You can occasionally find the solid state version (B15T) quite modestly priced. They're portable, loud as hell if you need it to be, sound like an Ampeg and will fit in the passenger seat of a two seater sports car.

Thanks all.

I've just spent 6 months with my new Blues Jr Class A valve amp and understand the difference between solid state and valve sound for guitar.

I definitely prefer valve. :cool:

So, cut to this thread about me and bass amps, I'm totally lost with the valve vs solid state thing. Is it a case of those who want a bit of break up or distortion in their bass sound use valve and those that want a super clean sound use solid state?

Can someone edumacate me?

FM

If you're going to be gigging with it, just remember to keep extra tubes handy. Although I generally like the sound of tube for some things, if it were me I'd go ss. I think bass amps probably take a little more abuse than guitar amps, the bass frequencies from the cab rattling the head a little more, and I'd feel like ss was more reliable. You can get the clean power from the ss amp, and get a little dirt if you want it from a pedal, like a SansAmp. Just my opinion, keeping in mind I haven't gigged as a bass player for 30 years. I'd also go with a sep cab and head, for ease of portability (you're dividing the weight into two sep packages), but then you've also got to remember to carry extra speaker cables.

Lt. Bob would be the guy to ask about this, as this is what he spends a lot of his time doing (gigging on bass).

Yeah, I've been gigging on bass for the last 25 years or so, and solid state is definitely more reliable. My favorite amp for larger outdoor gigs is an old solid state Randall guitar head driving a 2X12 and a 1X15 cab. I don't know what they used in the power supply of that thing, but it has tremendous amounts of headroom and lets fast transients through unclipped like no other amp I've used.

For the smaller stuff, either a Tubeworks 2x12 combo (with switchable tube and solid state preamps) or the trusty B15.

Thanks all.

Went to the shop yesterday. Got a big run down from the guy.

For lower end of the budget, whilst still being able to easily produce quality sound against a drum kit and band, he was talking Genz Benz which is the back friendly setup - man it was light.

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2427&sid=610&cid=95#
http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1436&sid=426&cid=96

The other was an Ashdown 4x10 and head setup - can't remember which one.

What did i learn yesterday?

- Valve amps are mega-bucks.
- Ashdown is the "cheapy" brand (like behringer) ? (I'm not hanging shit on Ashdown, they all have their place!)
- There is no problem with 10" speakers reproducing low B's if the cabinet is well designed and constructed.

FM

Back