Baritone Electric Guitars

carsoste

Hi:
I'm thinking about purchasing a Baritone Electric Guitar in the near future mainly because I'm looking for another instrument to write songs on that might give off a different, distinct sound. I've researched into them a little and know how most are tuned from B to B which is what differentiates them from other guitars, but for some reason, every website that I look on that says they sell them has few available and almost no information on them. (Most that I've found have been discontinued.) I did however, get the idea of what one sounded like on You Tube and loved it and also loved the sound of the guitar when played by David Gray and Dave Matthews. So, my questions are these: 1. Is there a specific baritone electric guitar that anyone can recommend for me that sells for $200-300? 2. Is there a specific type of amp that I need to get for a baritone guitar?
If someone could answer these questions, I would deeply appreciate it. Also, any information that you might want to give me about baritone electric guitars would be most welcome.
Thanks.
carsoste

For 200-300 bucks... I think you'd have to settle for a Danelectro or sumthing...
Maybe, if you can find a used Epi LP baritone. ESP ltd also got some in a cheaper pricerange.

Personally I play Gibby LP baritone (found it dirt cheap), and an Epi as a backup. The Epi is as good as the Gibby.. except for pickups.. I'm honkering for some BKP:s in to it.:o

What I'm looking for next, is the Fender Jaguar baritone special, but it's 700 bucks new, if you can find one.

There are some more dubious brands on eBay from time to time, that are cheap.
Also one redicilously expensive baritone from Alembic.

I have an Ibanez RGD320 not a baritone strictly speaking its a 26.5" scale. Can be tuned to B no problem or lower if needed.

Good baritones are hard to come by at a reasonable cost i got my Ibanez for £120 all in from ebay (retail nearer £400) :)

Pickups are not so great distorted but put out great clean tones as they are Alnico V magnet.

Just an idea, Muzza

I would have a look at Agile guitars. They do a decent range of Baritones and are quite reasonably priced. I also believe Ibanez have released some baritone models, but I'm not really an Ibanez lover so haven't researched them. Amp-wise, you can use a normal guitar amp for sure, it really depends on what kind of sound you are going for. A lot of home-recording "Djent" players like to use amp simulators like Line6 Pods, or the amazing Fractal Audio Axe-FX. Actually, with either of the aforementioned solutions, you can get a plethora of really nice guitar tones, whatever your style of playing / genre. Right now the Axe-FX is the king of all modellers, you can't go wrong with it, the only issue might be the price. But hell, you really do get the quality you are paying for with it.

Hi:
First, thank you so much to all of your guys for your great suggestions and for answering my questions. I would definitely look into all of the baritones that you suggested. (I can't wait to get one.)
Thanks again,
carsoste

b-b-b-b-baritone

My band has an old danelectro baritone and one of the new ones. The new one is excellent, it's well made and it sounds great. We usually keep them in slightly different tunings. Paul keeps the newer one tuned to a B on the low string, but he tunes it like a 6 string bass. I have the other one at tuned to C# and tuned like a guitar.

We haven't had much success tuning them to anything higher than C#. At D some string would invariably break. But there's not much reason to tune a baritone that high... you can just tune a guitar down more effectively.

Not totally sure what you'd like to do with a baritone... If you've seen some country westerns, Sergio Leone type shit, you can get that deep twangy duane eddy stuff.

We use baritones almost exclusively to double bass lines. In recordings a baritone doubling a bass or a bassy synth line can save your ass in mix and allow you to blend the various sounds into something thicker and meatier.

You Can use a standard guitar and use heavy gauge strings and set it up to play tuned B to B i've been doing this for years theres alot of people that say this isn't possible but it is I have a 6 string thats been tuned to B or A for years and it sounds great and has never given me any problems

there are a few Baritones on the Rondo site close to your price range...think all are Agiles there is a Rickenbacker looking one and they have another kinda resembles a Jazzmaster. Think Schecter still has a couple models out but probably closer to 500 if memory suits. Think fender has discontinued the bass VI but may be wrong...and I've played them and don't think worth the money, could get a neck and build your own maybe.

I've been leaning toward getting an Agile from Rondo for my next electric 6 string, I don't know much about them but everyone I've talked to speaks well of them and the prices are good for a broke bass player.

Ive only got one baritone, i saw this review in Guitar World recently about a Jericho Guitar, its a 27" scale with a Gibson neck angle and a flatish radius and some great woods. I think they also did a GW video review of "The Avenger". The guitar rips, it has Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge so the saturation is killer when i load it up in my rig and flip the gain on hard. I actually string it up with regular strings and tune to Drop C when im recording, it sounds sooo money you should try it out if you see one at the store or something, check out a photo off their page:

avengerWhiteFrontBody.png

Back