ART Tube MP or VTB1 for Bass DI

studiodrum

Hey guys,
Has anyone ever used either the ART Tube MP, or Studio Projects VTB1 as a Bass DI. I need some phantom power for a condenser mic, and a DI for a bass guitar. So, I thought that I would try to kill 2 birds with one stone, and find a unit that can perform both jobs. I just have a little 4 track home studio setup, nothing fancy. . . So, my budget is very limited. . . .any thoughts on these 2 units?
Thanks!

Last edited:
studiodrum said:
Hey guys,
any thoughts on these 2 units?
Thanks!
Just more starved-tube junk for the sucker market. They might work OK as effects units for bass, but they're not true tube preamps fit to record with. In this price range, go pure solid-state and have better sound.

Get a Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro mixer off eBay for about $135 and you'll have better preamps plus your phantom power.

Last edited:
studiodrum said:
Hey guys,
Has anyone ever used either the ART Tube MP, or Studio Projects VTB1 as a Bass DI.

The ART Tube MP is decent as a bass DI. Since you need a preamp too , it makes sense to me. It's only $50

Maybe you should consider a used SansAmp Bass Driver, Korg Bassworks, Bass POD, or Johnson- J-Station. I just looked on Ebay and you can get used J-Stations for $80-100. The SansAmp is a great device and it's extremely simple to use.

Wide Awake said:
...and don't buy that Mackie that bongolation recommended, he's an idiot.
Well, I'm not the one buying starved-plate quasi-tube preamps. I'm sure you have a full knowledge of that engineering concept, right? :D

BTW, that Mackie recommendation comes directly from Scott Dorsey.

Some idiot, huh?

If you want a better straight preamp than the others, but without the mixer, try an M-Audio DMP-series item.

bongolation said:
Well, I'm not the one buying starved-plate quasi-tube preamps. I'm sure you have a full knowledge of that engineering concept, right? :D

BTW, that Mackie recommendation comes directly from Scott Dorsey.

Some idiot, huh?

Actually, you're more of an asshole than an idiot. I stand corrected.

You don't know what kind of bass/pickups he is using. Chances are high that there will be an impedance problem with the Mackie and his bass is not going to sound very good. I own a 1402vlz so I do have first-hand experience.

dirtythermos said:
Yeah, that's what I have, except that it is integrated into this. The mic pres are good, and with ample compression, I get great bass tones.
I don't know how similar the pres in this are to the DMP's, but generally the M-Audio stuff does well for the bucks. Presumably the Hi-Z 1/4" ins will work for the typical instrument. Really, in this price range what you're looking for is as flat a response as you can get and the best S/N. Magical gourmet preamp coloration isn't going to be showing up for about another $1000 except possibly by accident.

Personally, I use a modeler for bass, but that's getting into more hardware and would probably run this over budget.

i recorded on a four track for a couple a years, getting my feet wet.
as soon as i got a pt rig i went and picked up a tube mp. allthough i have stuff that smashes it now..i would have LOVED to have it back in those 4 track days.

id buy it man, tubes ruuuule! :cool:

when my Art tube mp thing goes a little too hot the resulting distortion isn't that bad, so i try to push it and have fun getting it in the red. I like it for bass, beats what I got w/ my amp. better than my stock pres, but I have no other external boxes to compare it to. Wish I could....

Blue Bear Sound said:
The ART Tube MP makes a great DI for bass...
As I said in my original message, these things are probably adequate as bass effect/DIs, but remember that he's also looking for a phantom-powered preamp to presumably use for a microphone. This thing really isn't going to be much of a straight preamp for microphone use and not as useful and flexible as a modeler for bass. In that boat and at that budget, I would probably try to shop harder for deals (possibly used) and get a better straight, basic preamp like an M-Audio somethingorother and a modeler.

bongolation said:
As I said in my original message, these things are probably adequate as bass effect/DIs, but remember that he's also looking for a phantom-powered preamp to presumably use for a microphone.
They're fine as DI boxes, but horrible as mic preamps! The VTB-1, OTOH, is great as a DI and also makes a good pre in certain contexts........ because of its load switch, it does rather well with certain mics.

The bass in the first song snippet in this sampler was cut using an ART Tube MP Studio as a DI.

Back