anyone ever heard of a royce guitar?

jimistone

long standing member
I got a guitar in a trade...its a gibson es 335 copy with "royce" on the headstockl. Its a real nice looking guitar and has a good neck and keys that stay in tune...binded body and neck...peal block inlays ...open humbuckers. the guitar plays and sound pretty good. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with "royce" guitars.

Wow! Talk about a blast from the past.

My very first guitar was a Royce. It was an SG copy that my Dad bought for me at the Sam Goody's in the Livingston Mall in Livingston, NJ. Thatwas back in 1973 or so.

I realized much later in life that it was a less than stellar example of an SG copy. The pickups were extremely weak and I don't think they were humbuckers. The bridge/saddle was a stamped piece of triangular steel with no individual saddle adjusment. It looked cool, but didn't sound good at all and wouldn't stay in tune. The intonation was terrible.

But it was red!

Royce

I have a big red "Royce" steel acoustic. My brother gave it to me, it was my first steel acoustic and I it has horrible action, but I played and played it, because actually it sounds good, if you can withstand the bleeding. It says made in Korea. Royce means "ouch" in Korean.

wow, it really surprizes me that the royce guitars that you guys had weren't worth a shit. The one I have is a real good playing guitar...i have it strung with 11's...action and intonation are dead on.
I normally play a strat

I have a Royce it has a good sound. IT'S NOT RED!! It's a nice looking guitar. I've been trying to find anyone that knew anything about them. Mine,when you look inside it says Royce model 1595.Does anyone know where I can find out more?

and 8 years later another response...

Every once in a while I try to find something about Royce online and stumbled across this thread.
I also own a Royce es335 copy, I purchased it from a buddy of mine who needed a quick $50 back in 1983. I'm fairly certain he purchased it from a local music store (Rome NY if anyone cares) for a couple hundred bucks.
I've owned many guitars since I purchased the Royce, and it's no longer my primary guitar, but I do love it. I thought it always played great (better than the Mexican Strat I owned in the 90's), wonderful tone and that classic look.

and 8 years later another response...

Every once in a while I try to find something about Royce online and stumbled across this thread.
I also own a Royce es335 copy, I purchased it from a buddy of mine who needed a quick $50 back in 1983. I'm fairly certain he purchased it from a local music store (Rome NY if anyone cares) for a couple hundred bucks.
I've owned many guitars since I purchased the Royce, and it's no longer my primary guitar, but I do love it. I thought it always played great (better than the Mexican Strat I owned in the 90's), wonderful tone and that classic look.
If you still have your Royce es 335 I'd really like to see a photo & here's mine it's a walnut 340 I think cheers cap

Attachments

• 101_3059.JPG
    101_3059.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
I have a Royce 335 copy! My Uncle got it during the Vietnam War. He just recently started clearing some of his guitars. I played this one and fell in love! He gave it to me. It has that killer old school tone just like the Gibsons back in the day. I have a newer Gibson ES 335 and my Royce sounds 10 times better! It's not even close. I have had several guitar players confirm this. We even did a blind fold test and the Royce 335 was chosen for better sound and neck playability!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230517-100929__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517-100929__01.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230517-100924__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517-100924__01.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230517-100934__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517-100934__01.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 5
Back