Anybody ever have this problem?

YesZep Lick

I have a 1997 Fender Blues Deluxe amp. A few weeks back I'm jamming out (in the middle of playing Time by Pink Floyd) and all of the sudden my amp starts cutting in and out, making sort of a popping not similar to what you get if you unplug your guitar while the amp is on. This lasts for a few seconds and then the amp makes the most horrendous noise I've ever heard. It sounded like a a combination of smoke detector sound and a really loud distorted train horn. Note that I'm not playing anymore and this sound stays constant until I shut off the amp. I initially was not sure if it was being cause by a bad pedal my powered pedal board, etc. I tried playing through the amp a day or two later and I did not have a problem. I played through it maybe a half dozen more times with no problem and then it happened the other day again. I turned the amp off and I plugged directly into the amp from my guitar and turn the amp back on. The horrible noise came out still. I tried my guitar in another amp with no problem. I am assuming there is something wrong with my amp. Anybody have a similar experience or may know what's wrong?

Please help,

YZL

Possibly as the amp heats up and reaches a certain temp that a circuit fails. Looks like its time for the shop?

this has happened to me before... may sure its not your chords. I had a peavey delta blues 30 that did this for a few days, i left it alone and came back a few days later...no problem. Soon thereafter i switched out the tubes and i never heard a peep again.

These problems are the toughest to find. If it was an older amp, I'd say check filter caps. But, without having it on a test bench, it's been my experience that flaky tubes are usually the culprit. The problem is that usually they have to get hot to exhibit the problems and because of this, a standard tube tester will not show the tube as defective. I would try swapping out the power tubes...It never hurts to have spares anyway if this does not solve the problem...Or, like dragonworks said, take it to a shop. If you do take it to a shop, make sure they "run the piss out of it" or the problem may not show up.

I have a power amp sitting on a shelf because of the same type of problem. It is an intermittent (heat related) situation. Trouble is, the amp puts out a noise at full level that will shred any speaker. These things are the hardest to troubleshoot. Make sure your amp is worth it....mine isn't.

I once had a VW Jetta that occasionaly wouldn't turnover...changed the starter twice, checked all the wiring and ignition, still would give me grief.......gave it to charity.

Back