any thoughts on killing joke's guitar sound?

solaris0031

how does killing joke get their guitar sound? (specifically on total invasion)

sounds like a half-open wah pedal or something.....thats my only guess......or maybe some sort of compression? i ha no idea

how do they do it? bahh....

I saw the recent tour and even got to meet Geordie. He keeps his rig kinda hidden on stage, so it's hard to see what he's got going on. I also think he uses some kind of open tuning, though which one I'm not sure.

When I met him, I said something like "I've been following you guys for years, and I think you have one of the best guitar tones around."

"Um, I think it's THE best tone, actually," he corrected.

Was my face red!

It seems like he's trying to keep it a secret so nobody steals it. ;)

Try going to a message board related to the band and maybe someone has how to do it?

someone should e-mail him and ask how he gets that sound from a gorilla amp and a modified Korg. That should piss him off enough that he may elaborate more on his equipment.

Heh, that would be funny. "Hey, what settings do you use on your Pignose and Danelectro Chocolate Cookie pedal?"

how does killing joke get their guitar sound? (specifically on total invasion)

sounds like a half-open wah pedal or something.....thats my only guess......or maybe some sort of compression? i ha no idea

how do they do it? bahh....
1952 Gibson es-295 guitar (Main Guitar used) & a
les paul with p-90 pick ups(not sure how old but old!)
framus guitar amps.(marshall used on tour)
line 6 effects DL4 & DM4/ electro harmonix 'memory-man' pedal.
Bell A.D.T rack mount effects.(Delay Unit/detune)
you can get the same sound using 'Waves-gtr3'.
hope this helps :)

If you like Killing Joke, you should check out Murder, Incorporated. It is basically Killng Joke with Chris Connelly on vocals- a bit more Industrial sound. Good stuff!

'Murder inc' was a great album crippled by poor production.(martin atkins!)
Geordie Walker was also in a group called 'damage manual' too (with 'jah wobble' on bass).
seen Geordie live a few times, he is one awesome guitarist.
geordie_walker_guitarist.jpg

new killing joke single out now, check out 'ghosts of ladbroke grove',great tune.
peerless guitars make a great "Es-295" copy called a 'gigmaster-sc' that sounds very close to the original 52 model.
images
any more questions..... feel free to ask.

Last edited:
have a look at one of these....
electro-harmonix-stereo-polychorus.jpg

its great for that guitar sound, just add a BIG overdrive to taste.. ;)
set to 'doubletrack' and add a bit of detune.
sounds awesome!;)

Back